What should my priority be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post, first pond. Have moved into a new house with large garden pond (10 metres, by 5, 1.5 deep) that is somewhat neglected and want to bring it back to life. It has fish, 4 koi (maybe about a pound in weight each), 5 small goldfish and lots of small UK coarse fish (dace and roach I think). Has a very large reed bed floating in the middle and lots of weeds, and lots of sludge. I have removed some of the reeds and weeds, and some sludge but it is a tough job. Am wondering what advice would be on priorities. Water is not very clear, but fish seem healthy and have clearly lived there happily with very little attention for several years. Would like cleaner, clearer water and probably a water feature or two. Grateful for any thoughts on priorities on a limited budget? Should I get a filter, what sort of size (am rather intimidated by some of the prices!), UV, or concentrate of getting rid of sludge, would a simple pump and fountain do for water quality. Basically, any thoughts and advice very gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
pics would help. Is there a pump and filter there? I would start with cleaning the filter and pump and start from there. There is no overnight solution but you have come to the right group for help. We all have different levels of knowledge and experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
pics would help. Is there a pump and filter there? I would start with cleaning the filter and pump and start from there. There is no overnight solution but you have come to the right group for help. We all have different levels of knowledge and experience
Thanks! Will post a pic tomorrow. No filter, but have installed a pump and fountain which is circulating the water a little which, I think, has helped with water clarity......

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-8_14-31-17.gif
@Evansovich
You will prolly have to get all that yucky sludge outta there which will stir up your water and make it all a mess again. A filter would really help while you are doing that as you have fish in there that won't like breathing in all that muck. Might even be better if you had someplace to put the fish so you could clean it up w/o them in it.
Oh is this a natural pond or cement or does it have a liner in it? You could build a bog which would clean it up nicely and all the plants would love sucking up the muck. I don't have one but others here could tell you how to do it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20180509_074425.jpg
View attachment 110410@Evansovich
You will prolly have to get all that yucky sludge outta there which will stir up your water and make it all a mess again. A filter would really help while you are doing that as you have fish in there that won't like breathing in all that muck. Might even be better if you had someplace to put the fish so you could clean it up w/o them in it.
Oh is this a natural pond or cement or does it have a liner in it? You could build a bog which would clean it up nicely and all the plants would love sucking up the muck. I don't have one but others here could tell you how to do it.
Thanks, will research further!!

Ask a Question