Should I put these plants in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought some plants for my pond. I want to be sure there is no downside to putting these in:

Equisetum hyemale (Dutch rush)

Hippuris vulgaris (Mare’s tail)

Typha minima (Miniature bulrush or Miniature reedmace)

Ranunculus aquatillis

Milfoil

Duck weed

I have a wildlife pond. No filters, no fish. So I'm hoping these plants will help to clean and oxygenate. Any experience or opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi James, the list looks good but the duckweed might dominate since the pond does not have any water movement. It will could take over quite fast since there are no fish to control its rapid reproduction.
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
100% agree about the duckweed. I'd skip it completely if possible because once you have it in the pond it is REALLY hard to get rid of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. Thanks for the tip. I'm happy to leave that one out.

Would fish eat that then? I'm going to make a separate fish pond out of an old water tank I have (it'll look better than it sounds). I could use that in there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice group of plants. I have some duckweed growing here and there, a hitch hiker plant. Came in via a plant from trickers. The fish do love it, I grab it up and toss it in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Would fish eat that then?
Yup, they love it.

I'm going to make a separate fish pond out of an old water tank I have (it'll look better than it sounds). I could use that in there.
In a pond with water movement and fish duckweed isn't a big issue unlike in your still fishless pond where it will get out of control quickly. Sounds like a plan!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Love the sound of this from a nature perspective but I a curious how will you control mosquitos with no water movement and no fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I do seem to be over run with water hogs at the moment, there are literally thousnadt of them. And I think they're eating my new plants too. What to do...
IMG_20180628_223523720.jpg

Ask a Question