A neighbor’s property “damage”......should I even be concerned?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We officially moved out of our old house and took up residence in our new house on 11/1. On that date we had professional movers transfer the majority of our larger furniture. We go back daily to the old house (only 5 minutes away) to collect odds and ends, check mail, etc. So, this afternoon I pulled into the driveway (old house) and got mail. A neighbor directly across the street met me, introduced himself (they’ve been there a couple of months), and started telling me how his mailbox was damaged “at about the same time” that we moved our stuff. He said that apparently, during the move, his brick mailbox got damaged — pushed a couple of inches as well as some damage happened to the door. He very carefully and deliberately showed me where a vehicle had apparently made contact with the brick (a few inches off ground level), scraping the brick — there was no paint transfer apparent. The “damage” to the door was, well, at mailbox door level. His attitude was, “what are you going to do about it?” I told him I would contact the moving co. and let them know — which I will do......after the holidays.

• The “damage” was negligible, barely noticeable — and no way to give a timeline (it could have happened months ago, or a week ago)
  • I asked if he’d seen it happen — “No, but it happened at about the same time we were moving”
  • I mentioned that “I wish he’d told us about it sooner — no note, nothing, was left for us.......and it supposedly happened 20 days ago
So, should I, personally, even be concerned about this, other than notifying the movers? WE did nothing to his mailbox, and he is only assuming that it was the movers. Shoot, it could have been caused by the people parking there for 2 garage sales (during same time period he claims damage occurred) — we could barely even get into and out of our own driveway due to the inconsiderate way people were parking!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You didn't personally damage his property, and he is only making assumptions, so he's on his own. If he wants to blame the movers, then he can chase them himself. Don't let him get under your skin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Agree with all of the above @Mmathis - pass on the info and let him make his own phone call. Not your responsibility. For all you know it was damaged when he moved in!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, all, for the replies! I think I’ll write the company’s name and phone down and drop it by their house. He admitted he didn’t see it happen and only had an appropriate time frame, so, yeah, just fishing.

Ask a Question