Whats eating my Red Water Dock!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
What ever it it's having a field day what do I do!! I don't want to spray for obvious reasons... I have 3 frogs who apparently not doing the job they were hired for!
15634591788661294360026.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Can't see the damage from that photo. Could it be water snails eating them? Need to see a more close up photo of the damage and I'm no expert on this. I hear it is tasty to eat in salads so I guess snails might like it too :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Red dock goes through stages where it looks great and then it looks like yours - ragged and weary. It's probably some kind of bug, but in any case, just cut it down to the crown and let it start fresh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I'll try to get a better picture but ALL the leaves have holes chewed in them. It's still growing but doesn't take long before the new leaves are full of them. I'll try cutting but that's go na hurt! !ok

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's basically a salad green. It's edible. (I don't suggest eating it when it's full of bug holes, but we do harvest ours and eat it!) Like any green, it goes through a life cycle. Cut it back - the bugs won't have anything to chew and the leaves will come back nice and fresh.

Ask a Question