Whats your dream Pond if you were to do it all over again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is your dream set up for a natural pond/ koi pond?
Liner and stone ?
gunnite ? concrete?
under gravel ? reverse flow?
skimers and type ?
bottom drain ??
Bog?
Sand filters ?
bio balls ?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My father was raised on a farm that had two ponds. I loved them! When I bought my home and property here in PA, two decades ago, I dreamed of having my own natural pond in a ravine that had a natural spring running through it. The plan was for a @100 x 50 foot pond about 14 feet deep at the center. I was going to stock it with bass, brem (bluegills) & catfish. I cut down about 1 1/2 acres of trees to have a view to it from the house, and designed my own dam that was approved by the local conservation center. Then, they decided that the 1 foot wide runoff from the spring had 25 feet of wetland on either side, so they said I would have to relocate the wet area. I designed the pond so it would gently get more shallow on one side, and I was going to relocate the wetland to that side. They approved this plan, too. I was all ready to start work when I got about 2 inches of paperwork from the state. The state wanted all kinds of studies done before they would give final approval...like an endangered species study, a 1 mile radius run-off study, picture documentation that I wasn't flooding any historical buildings, soil studies, it went on and on. I felt overwhelmed and put my plan for a natural pond to rest. It is one of the two regrets I have in my life. Who knows, I'm 61 now; perhaps I'll go back to it one day, and only die with 1 regret, but I'm sure the regulations are even stricter now. At least I have my 425 gallon pond in my backyard! ;)

Here's where it would have been located.
011TheBackYard.JPG

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If I had the money to start from scratch and do things exactly how I'd want them, I wouldn't have a pond at all.

I'd have a stream. I'm unsure of the length I'd make it, but it would be pretty long. The head of the stream would be a large bog filled with all sorts of native species. The stream would be about 1' or 2' deep. There would be appropriate plant life in the stream. There would be a pathway along one side of the stream, possibly both, and surrounding the entire thing would be a large native garden. I said I wouldn't have a pond, but I actually would consider a pond or pond-like area in the stream that would be deep enough to allow frogs to hibernate.

The stream's design would be based off of some of the streams and river in the Scuppernong prairie.
IMG_5007_2.png

IMG_4905_2.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nope NO fish No hassles .When i decide to sell this place I will have to fill in the pond and move the fish ,so pondless would have been better for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My father was raised on a farm that had two ponds. I loved them! When I bought my home and property here in PA, two decades ago, I dreamed of having my own natural pond in a ravine that had a natural spring running through it. The plan was for a @100 x 50 foot pond about 14 feet deep at the center. I was going to stock it with bass, brem (bluegills) & catfish. I cut down about 1 1/2 acres of trees to have a view to it from the house, and designed my own dam that was approved by the local conservation center. Then, they decided that the 1 foot wide runoff from the spring had 25 feet of wetland on either side, so they said I would have to relocate the wet area. I designed the pond so it would gently get more shallow on one side, and I was going to relocate the wetland to that side. They approved this plan, too. I was all ready to start work when I got about 2 inches of paperwork from the state. The state wanted all kinds of studies done before they would give final approval...like an endangered species study, a 1 mile radius run-off study, picture documentation that I wasn't flooding any historical buildings, soil studies, it went on and on. I felt overwhelmed and put my plan for a natural pond to rest. It is one of the two regrets I have in my life. Who knows, I'm 61 now; perhaps I'll go back to it one day, and only die with 1 regret, but I'm sure the regulations are even stricter now. At least I have my 425 gallon pond in my backyard! ;)

Here's where it would have been located.
View attachment 107255
Moon; got a question for you; IF you'd have just dug a 'regular' pond and made it look natural, even at some largeish size, and said authorities had wandered by, would they have cited you or thought the water feature was ALREADY in place? The way I see it is if that's what you created, you can do no wrong. Unless you're tapping into some sort of geo-problem, how can a 'large puddle' in the middle of the country hurt anything? If anything, it would enhance and help, so...guess what I'm saying is dig your puddle and enjoy. The mistake you made was telling a bureaucracy you were up to good 'natured' fun. Seriously, do you think your plans were going to hurt anything? Not like you're starting a fracking company...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The only thing I'd do differently (my pond is 2700 gal, enclosed with a screen house, 4' deep) is to make it twice as wide (so, maybe 4-5000 gallons). I'd love an 'outdoor' pond but don't want to have so many predation worries. Having a longer stream would be nice but a waterfall really provided enough 'running water' joy for me.

I felt like 20'x20' was max as I had to find wood that long to enclose. Suppose I could have engineered it differently but when you have nothing, 20x20 seems really large already!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Moon; got a question for you; IF you'd have just dug a 'regular' pond and made it look natural, even at some largeish size, and said authorities had wandered by, would they have cited you or thought the water feature was ALREADY in place? The way I see it is if that's what you created, you can do no wrong. Unless you're tapping into some sort of geo-problem, how can a 'large puddle' in the middle of the country hurt anything? If anything, it would enhance and help, so...guess what I'm saying is dig your puddle and enjoy. The mistake you made was telling a bureaucracy you were up to good 'natured' fun. Seriously, do you think your plans were going to hurt anything? Not like you're starting a fracking company...

@brokensword. I was doing this on the QT originally. I had no plans of telling anyone. They discovered my intent from a fly over. The point of a bureaucracy is to justify their existence, and that they did by throwing their weight around. I would dig a pond (or puddle as you call it) in the middle of that field, which I don't think they can say anything about, but I have no way to fill it, except to pump the water out of the ground. That would probably be cost prohibitive from what I have read, in original cost of well and pumping system and electricity considering the evaporation rates of a pond that size, not to mention how it might affect the water levels of surrounding neighbors' wells. I can't pump from the spring, or they'll say I am affecting the wetland area negatively.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well, since you'll probably NEED a submersible pump for the pond anyhow, you can use the one you buy to pump the water from the stream into your BRAND NEW ALWAYS WAS THERE puddle! And then of course, we can routinely needle you about how, once you're done, you're gonna wish it was LARGER!

You could also find a way to collect the rain from your roof, route it through hose(s) and down into your new puddle. Might have to help it out re ph/kh/gh but that prob seems solvable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would not change anything, love how mine functions and very self maintaining.
aw, c'mon now, addy, we know you're secretly wishing you had ANOTHER pond for your bog to feed, one so you can have koi, too. Wouldn't be that hard--you have all that room behind the bog. And not to mention, we all know you don't have nearly enough shrubs, perennials, vines, and wild flowers around the pond--you're going to need more room just for those. And when your lily plantation takes off, what then? You ARE feeding the deer now with those, right? Plus, imagine how nice it would be if your bees were CLOSER to the water, for taking summer sips. You aren't considering all the effort they put into flying so far as it is...And moving dem bees would be more problematic than simply making them a watering hole a lot closer, so, best dust off the Kubota and start strip-mining again.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
roflaughing............... I think 10 is enough, well soon to be 11. Our old hot tub is going to be a lily pond. Kitty litter in the bottom a few mosquito eating fish, no pumps, free running lilies, ie not in pots. Not in the pond loop, actually on the concrete right out side our walk out basement door.
I need to make it not as white as it is. Going to use the rock on a roll that I have had sitting around. Cheaper than disposing of it.

And it will be a 30 feet from the bees more or less, they actually like flying to the further pond then the closer deck pond. It all depends on the scout bee, when they find water they tell the others where to go.

And it will make it easier for the deer to eat the lily leaves, right at munch height. Frogs won't make it into it 3 feet off the ground. Unless..............sign..............I build a frog ramp.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Got to do my pond over about 10 years ago when we moved. So, I wouldn’t change anything about it now. Even had the forethought to build it around the diamondback terrapins I have.(rare for me)

Ask a Question