Where to start

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm actually hoping for the same thing. Browsing here in this community, I know you'll find the right push.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Larry Haley to the GPF! You will learn more than you ever thought possible about keeping ponds here. Some lessons are learned the hard way, though and you're learning those, too. You'll get there - we all started somewhere.

One thing I will mention - be aware that smaller ponds can be harder to keep balanced than larger ponds. The small water volume makes them more reactive to small changes. My two best pieces of advice - add lots of plants and avoid pond additives. (De-chlor is the only exception when you add water to your pond if you know you have chlorinated water.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well so far the newest batch of fish are doing well. I got my Api test kit and the only problem is general hardness is very low. Im using crushed oysters to see if that makes any difference. Im adding small amounts as not to shock the fish. KH is perfect and nitrates are 0. I bought some Lilly plants from a local nursery.
Thanks to everyone commenting and giving advise. I promise not to add anymore fish, lol but it is tempting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would suggest you get a bottle of Prime. It will help make the maturing/cycling of the pond safer for your fish (by making ammonia and nitrite non toxic to the fish)

http://www.seachem.com/prime.php

Also just something to think about. Seventeen goldfish in 160 gallons of water is a lot. Goldfish can grow quite large and produce a lot of waste. You may notice as time goes on and they get larger you will find they start to have health problems.

A good rule of thumb is to have at least 20 gallons of water for each goldfish (even more is better in the sense it gives more leeway with water quality issues)

Good luck and try not to get discouraged :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will do, bottle of Prime. Sounds like a good idea. I see you have trapdoor snails. How do they do? Are they ok in the winter? I plan to had a heater because my pond is so small and only around 18'' deep I dont want the fish to freeze.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just wait until you get the joy of seeing your first baby fish and you forget all about buying new fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will do, bottle of Prime. Sounds like a good idea. I see you have trapdoor snails. How do they do? Are they ok in the winter? I plan to had a heater because my pond is so small and only around 18'' deep I dont want the fish to freeze.

I'm in Northeast Ohio and the trapdoor snails do well here.

I use use a pond de-icer and an airpump with 4 airstones running in my pond and I have yet to have the entire top ice over.

If you have a small shallow pond I would definitely recommend using the de-icer and airpump. I have found it to help a lot in my pond and my stock tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in Northeast Ohio and the trapdoor snails do well here.

I use use a pond de-icer and an airpump with 4 airstones running in my pond and I have yet to have the entire top ice over.

If you have a small shallow pond I would definitely recommend using the de-icer and airpump. I have found it to help a lot in my pond and my stock tank.
Ok Thanks for the info

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another little update. The crushed oysters worked perfectly GH is right where its supposed to be. Water seems to be clearing up a bit and the fish have been swimming around. I did buy some prime and added that today so we will see if there are any changes tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I dont think I will live that long, lol. If I do that will be some treat.
I had to live 6 months before I got to see baby fish. And then every three weeks, I "get" to see more. That's when I take a day off feeding to let the orfe do their thing and keep the pond in balance, to put it euphemistically.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You're right... Koi needs twice the gallon size of what you have to do well.
His pond is 160 gallons....you must have misread that from the opening post.

@Larry Haley For a pond of 160 gallons you only need a few goldfish. They are going to grow and as mentioned, will have babies. When these happen, you will very quickly outgrow the capacity of your filtration to keep up with the fish waste. No koi!

Ask a Question