Where to start

Reaction score
Country
I would suggest you get a bottle of Prime. It will help make the maturing/cycling of the pond safer for your fish (by making ammonia and nitrite non toxic to the fish)

http://www.seachem.com/prime.php

Also just something to think about. Seventeen goldfish in 160 gallons of water is a lot. Goldfish can grow quite large and produce a lot of waste. You may notice as time goes on and they get larger you will find they start to have health problems.

A good rule of thumb is to have at least 20 gallons of water for each goldfish (even more is better in the sense it gives more leeway with water quality issues)

Good luck and try not to get discouraged :)

Reaction score
Country
Will do, bottle of Prime. Sounds like a good idea. I see you have trapdoor snails. How do they do? Are they ok in the winter? I plan to had a heater because my pond is so small and only around 18'' deep I dont want the fish to freeze.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
Just wait until you get the joy of seeing your first baby fish and you forget all about buying new fish

Reaction score
Country
Will do, bottle of Prime. Sounds like a good idea. I see you have trapdoor snails. How do they do? Are they ok in the winter? I plan to had a heater because my pond is so small and only around 18'' deep I dont want the fish to freeze.
I'm in Northeast Ohio and the trapdoor snails do well here.

I use use a pond de-icer and an airpump with 4 airstones running in my pond and I have yet to have the entire top ice over.

If you have a small shallow pond I would definitely recommend using the de-icer and airpump. I have found it to help a lot in my pond and my stock tank.

Reaction score
Country
I'm in Northeast Ohio and the trapdoor snails do well here.

I use use a pond de-icer and an airpump with 4 airstones running in my pond and I have yet to have the entire top ice over.

If you have a small shallow pond I would definitely recommend using the de-icer and airpump. I have found it to help a lot in my pond and my stock tank.
Ok Thanks for the info

Reaction score
Country
Another little update. The crushed oysters worked perfectly GH is right where its supposed to be. Water seems to be clearing up a bit and the fish have been swimming around. I did buy some prime and added that today so we will see if there are any changes tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I dont think I will live that long, lol. If I do that will be some treat.
I had to live 6 months before I got to see baby fish. And then every three weeks, I "get" to see more. That's when I take a day off feeding to let the orfe do their thing and keep the pond in balance, to put it euphemistically.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
You're right... Koi needs twice the gallon size of what you have to do well.
His pond is 160 gallons....you must have misread that from the opening post.

@Larry Haley For a pond of 160 gallons you only need a few goldfish. They are going to grow and as mentioned, will have babies. When these happen, you will very quickly outgrow the capacity of your filtration to keep up with the fish waste. No koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
His pond is 160 gallons....you must have misread that from the opening post.

@Larry Haley For a pond of 160 gallons you only need a few goldfish. They are going to grow and as mentioned, will have babies. When these happen, you will very quickly outgrow the capacity of your filtration to keep up with the fish waste. No koi!
Crap that's not enough for more than 8 goldfish assuming maximum filtration and plants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
Had my koi in a preformed for almost 2 years only because mom passed away and then a 8 months later dad got sick and passed away so it all delayed the front porch build and that held up the pond build and then had just put in the liner and 1 of the builders dropped a piece of wood right into the center of it and put a huge rip in the liner .New liner and then had to wait until they finished the build.So are you going to build bigger pond is the real question .Fat fantails would be great for your pond .Mine have never had babies yet .

Reaction score
Country
Here is a little update. Everything is going well with the pond and fish. I think I have around 8 goldfish now. It seemed very odd where the rest went. Then I noticed we had a friend. A beautiful white egret. I didnt catch him in the act but he was hanging around the pool watching the frogs. Oh well such is the cycle of life.
Everybody here has been spot on. The fish are growing at unbelievable pace. Im still considering ideas for a new pond and location. So many things to think about. I dont want to jump into a new pond the way I did this one.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
upload_2017-9-21_8-55-57.gif
@Larry Haley

You might want to do a little something to stop that cycle of life a bit as those birds will wipe out each and every one of those fish. Since your pond is not too big it would be easy to put a net over it that you can easily remove. Then when you make a newer bigger pond you can make a permanent one. A gazebo type set up will work also w/netting attached to it.

Reactions: IPA

Ask a Question