Where to start

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
His pond is 160 gallons....you must have misread that from the opening post.

@Larry Haley For a pond of 160 gallons you only need a few goldfish. They are going to grow and as mentioned, will have babies. When these happen, you will very quickly outgrow the capacity of your filtration to keep up with the fish waste. No koi!

Crap that's not enough for more than 8 goldfish assuming maximum filtration and plants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Had my koi in a preformed for almost 2 years only because mom passed away and then a 8 months later dad got sick and passed away so it all delayed the front porch build and that held up the pond build and then had just put in the liner and 1 of the builders dropped a piece of wood right into the center of it and put a huge rip in the liner .New liner and then had to wait until they finished the build.So are you going to build bigger pond is the real question .Fat fantails would be great for your pond .Mine have never had babies yet .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a little update. Everything is going well with the pond and fish. I think I have around 8 goldfish now. It seemed very odd where the rest went. Then I noticed we had a friend. A beautiful white egret. I didnt catch him in the act but he was hanging around the pool watching the frogs. Oh well such is the cycle of life.
Everybody here has been spot on. The fish are growing at unbelievable pace. Im still considering ideas for a new pond and location. So many things to think about. I dont want to jump into a new pond the way I did this one.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-9-21_8-55-57.gif
@Larry Haley

You might want to do a little something to stop that cycle of life a bit as those birds will wipe out each and every one of those fish. Since your pond is not too big it would be easy to put a net over it that you can easily remove. Then when you make a newer bigger pond you can make a permanent one. A gazebo type set up will work also w/netting attached to it.

Ask a Question