who keeps netting over their pond during the winter months?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, Are you still involved with horses at all? I had horses for 26 years and then sold everything due to divorce. It's been about 7 years now since I have had a horse and to be honest I don't know how I had the time or the money for them!

I think the ponding is much more relaxing, cheaper and safer than horses :LOL:

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Nope ,& Amen!! Like the old gray mare ,I ain't like I used to be .Still replacing the netting on the frames for the pond to get them covered for the winter .Kid's and horses are for the young and bullet proof ,or wealthy . I am none of the three!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol love horses, BUT, a lot of money, care, time, and sure hurts when you get tossed. We have enough land to have a few, but as much as I would love to have some grazing in the yard, they take way more work then just looking at.

I am thinking of leaving the net on all winter, we get heron visits in january, owls, hawks. I don't use a heater so it won't matter if it gets stuck in the ice. They tend to stay in the deep end, they love to float under the piece of liner I float for them. Probably safe from the herons, owls etc. But ya never know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have to really be devoted to keep horses or they just end up neglected. Not sure if I will ever have the desire to have one again. And yes, It does hurt if you get tossed. I learned that the older you get the harder you fall too lol

You float a piece of pond liner in your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did a water change on the pond this weekend and pulled a bunch of the hyacinth and water lettuce. Will have to pull the rest soon. Switched out the net to a tighter weave net in hopes of keeping most if not all leaves out of the pond. Once the trees are bare I will switch the nets or pull it completely depending on the weather at the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Speaking of horses, we are doing a little trail riding this weekend. First time all summer. Hopefully I stay in the saddle and don't have any unexpected and unwanted dismounts. :)
Most of the time, they are just expensive lawn ornaments. Could be a chilly ride.

Have to pull my floaters out soon. The hard freeze we are expecting tonight will surely do them in.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bettasngoldfish said:
You have to really be devoted to keep horses or they just end up neglected. Not sure if I will ever have the desire to have one again. And yes, It does hurt if you get tossed. I learned that the older you get the harder you fall too lol

You float a piece of pond liner in your pond?

I used to ride a lot as a younger person, always wanted a horse. Did charts of characteristics, what mix I wanted on and on. Then grew up, sort of. Honey told me to get a horse for here, I said nope. Like my bones whole and he wants to travel when he retires. Hard enough with a tiny dog, veg garden, pond and now bees to travel. Lots of planning.

I used ppl liner for my pond, it floats beautifully. I put in a piece around 5x5 in the deep end. The fish love the security it gives them when all plants are gone and the water is not moving. The gang hangs out under it most of the winter. I have the underwater cam right where it floats, during the winter I can watch the fish "sleep" They do move around a little but very little. Being black some of the floating plants that get under it actually grow in the winter, a little warmth from the sun hitting it. I tie it to the shore so it stays in one place. Even with snow sitting on it, it has not sunk.

I usually put it in once I groom the lilies. They are getting groomed soon, our temps are diving down, 29-30 at night, 50ish during the day. The pond right now is 54 or so.

Reaction score
Country
United States
haver79 said:
Speaking of horses, we are doing a little trail riding this weekend. First time all summer. Hopefully I stay in the saddle and don't have any unexpected and unwanted dismounts. :)
Most of the time, they are just expensive lawn ornaments. Could be a chilly ride.

Have to pull my floaters out soon. The hard freeze we are expecting tonight will surely do them in.
Yes, Expensive lawn ornaments lol

Have fun on your trail ride. Fall was always my favorite time to hit the trails. Nothing better than a nice relaxing ride in the woods :)

We got a snow/rain mix last night. I noticed a lot of homes on the way to work this morning had a hint of snow/ice on their roofs. Too early for this kind of weather here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
addy1 said:
I used to ride a lot as a younger person, always wanted a horse. Did charts of characteristics, what mix I wanted on and on. Then grew up, sort of. Honey told me to get a horse for here, I said nope. Like my bones whole and he wants to travel when he retires. Hard enough with a tiny dog, veg garden, pond and now bees to travel. Lots of planning.

I used ppl liner for my pond, it floats beautifully. I put in a piece around 5x5 in the deep end. The fish love the security it gives them when all plants are gone and the water is not moving. The gang hangs out under it most of the winter. I have the underwater cam right where it floats, during the winter I can watch the fish "sleep" They do move around a little but very little. Being black some of the floating plants that get under it actually grow in the winter, a little warmth from the sun hitting it. I tie it to the shore so it stays in one place. Even with snow sitting on it, it has not sunk.

I usually put it in once I groom the lilies. They are getting groomed soon, our temps are diving down, 29-30 at night, 50ish during the day. The pond right now is 54 or so.
For as long as I could remember I wanted a horse. Didn't start riding until I was 14 years old and then finally got my own horse when I was 18. I never had property to keep a horse so I always had to pay board to keep them on someones elses property. Got very expensive over the years.

Pretty cool you actually get some growth on the plants under the liner. What kind of floating plants do you have?

Sounds like we are having similiar weather.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bettasngoldfish said:
For as long as I could remember I wanted a horse. Didn't start riding until I was 14 years old and then finally got my own horse when I was 18. I never had property to keep a horse so I always had to pay board to keep them on someones elses property. Got very expensive over the years.

Pretty cool you actually get some growth on the plants under the liner. What kind of floating plants do you have?

Sounds like we are having similiar weather.
It was not a horrible winter last winter, the non fish pond did freeze down around 8 inches, for a time. I have penny wort, parrots feather floating around in the pond. The penny wort and the parrots feather both had pretty green growth on them most of winter. Not a lot but some along the stems under the liner. It really took off once spring came along.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My parrots feather, in the stream ponds, has frozen solid, in the spring it looks totally dead. As it warms you can see it start to grow. Just leave it where it is. The stuff in the big pond, also dies back, except the bit under the liner, it seems to keep sort of growing. Gives the fish something to nibble on.

Reaction score
I leave my netting on all winter, because there are trees around us that fall leaves all winter for some reason. And then some that do not fall till spring 0.o Does anyone have cannas in thier bog? And do you leave them in there all winter? And also, elephant ears and Tarros, it got down to 31 last night and it killed several of the large one's leaves :( Should I dig them up now, and store them for winter? Never had it freeze this soon, having them. It also killed several of my cannas leaves in the bog.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once my taros got freeze smacked, i.e. leaves dead, I would dig them up, trim everything off, dry them out (leave is sun, warm room) then store for the winter. The bulbs should still be fine, so far just the leaves have died off.

Ask a Question