who keeps netting over their pond during the winter months?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This question is for anyone who uses netting to cover their ponds.

Do you remove the netting during the winter months?

I have kept mine covered at all times to help keep leaves and such from falling into the pond. And also to keep critters out so they either don't drown or steal my fish.

I was just reading an article about preparing your pond for the winter and it said to make sure to remove netting before winter arrives. So it go me to thinking, why?.....

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Snow will build up on a lot of types of netting and pull down into the water. I personally pull mine at the first snowfall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the past I didn't have fish in the pond over the winter so it didn't really matter to me. I am planning to use a floating de-icer and got to wondering if it would be an issue using it with the net? I bet I am going to have to pull the net once the snow hits. Which bothers me as I don't like the fish being that exposed (all the live floating plants are gone which provide cover for them)

Which raises another question. I have a plastic floating pond themometer and was wondering if it's safe to leave it in the water during the winter? Anybody know?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I put netting on my pond throughout the year. It's to prevent predators from eating my fish. The only time I take it off is when snow falls because snow will not fall through the net and will drag the whole net down. My net is on frames so I just take the frames off when it snows.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
mrsclem said:
Snow will build up on a lot of types of netting and pull down into the water. I personally pull mine at the first snowfall.
Interesting, as I wouldn't be thinking about snow. Does it really accumulate enough to weight down a net? For me, the weight of leaves could be an issue.

I guess it does depend on WHERE you live and the main purpose of your netting. I need to have anti-heron netting up year round, but so far have only done it to keep leaves out during fall & winter (we have goofy trees that wait until winter to drop).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've read of people who use their leaf blowers to blow the leaves off their nets:) I've left my net on over the winter before and it didn't hurt anything when it made contact with the water due to snow. I just think it's prettier without the net.

I had a heron once, but we have six dogs ( two of them newfoundlands) and I let them out ...it flew away and never returned! Kim

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Snow will build up on most nets just like it sticks to branches on trees. Once the net gets frozen in the water there is no getting it out and it can interfere with the pond heater. Once you get a little snow or ice on the pond the fish are safe. They will be on the bottom as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
mrsclem said:
Snow will build up on most nets just like it sticks to branches on trees. Once the net gets frozen in the water there is no getting it out and it can interfere with the pond heater. Once you get a little snow or ice on the pond the fish are safe. They will be on the bottom as well.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that

thanks for all the input everyone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Maria - you live really close to me in the SNOW BELT. I have my pond netted year round, mostly due to coons, not herons. We get so much snow that the weight will bring the net down, and the net will freeze to the ground or to the pond. I have learned over the years that I need to take the net off when the heavy snow starts coming and it gets really cold. I hate doing this for the reasons you have mentioned - it really scares me. But the main reason I take the net off is that I leave the pond running all winter. There have been times where I have to trek through 2 or 3 or 4 feet of snow and below freezing wind chills to perform emergency maintenance on the pond. If my deicer can't keep up and the surface entirely freezes or an ice dam builds at the waterfall and the water gets pumped out, I need immediate access to the pond. If the net is frozen in place that will cause a big problem in an emergency. I put the net back on usually by February since I've seen coons out that early in the year. From what I've read, coons really do not fully hibernate, so I only leave the net off when absolutely necessary. And, BTW, you can leave the plastic thermometer in the water - I always have and never had a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
anita, yes I'm in the snow belt although the last two winters you would never know it lol

thanks so much for your input. I think you have me convinced to remove the net when the snow starts flying. I certainly don't want it stuck to the ground or frozen in the water especially if I need to get to the pond or fish for some reason. I really never thought about that as my main concern was keeping the fish safe from predators.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My biggest predator has been the heron, the raccoons never seem to bother the pond or fish. I leave the net up as long as possible, the heron has stopped by in January

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Having moved here from ,BURTON OHIO ,I do not miss ,the weather one bit . Net here ,just going on for leaves ,will stay on till spring ,pump and aeration yr. round ,no heater ,no predators due to location and configuration .First frost soon ,most changes ,needed in aquaponics add on . Snow is temp. issue ,if at all (TG) ,long hard freezes rare .

Ask a Question