Wildlife in our pond...if you build it they will come

Reaction score
Since we built our pond in Sept of 08, there has been an increase of life in our yard.
newpictures1209412.jpg

this little guy was heard before I finally saw him. I think it's a cricket frog
picture2037.jpg

this toad was singing his heart out for several days
picture2322.jpg

with good results
newpictures1209105.jpg

one month later these little guys were all over the yard to our delight

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Very cool! We have our share. The sound at night during mating season is deafening.

Attachments

• DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
Awesome pics.....I gotta agree about the breeding season, in fact the addition of all the toads to our yard has got to be my favorite aspect of owning a pond.
My wife and I looked forward to every evening when the toads would come out from their hiding places and start the night time serenade. One guy in particular lived under our deck and for quite a while he made his nightly appearance at 8:45 P.M. on the dot. He would amble out from under the deck, hop in the pond and start singing.
I am hoping to see a salamander come into our yard, but I haven't seen one in over ten years in this part of the country.
picture2246.jpg

picture2300.jpg

picture2038.jpg

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I just saw and caught my first salamander last week here. I gave it to my gardeners son for school, show and tell week for wildlife.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice frogs Freddie. I get a few once in awhile but my neighbor across the road has a bigger pond and they like it over there better. I love hearing them at night in the spring
frog9.gif

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I agree with JW, I like hearing the frogs in the spring. The frogs that I have had to be brought in from a friends property down in Salkum, Washington. My urban neighborhood doesn't have any bodies of water that would allow frogs to migrate into the area that I live in.

Happy ponding,

Rich :banana: Just dreaming.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well you are lucky Rich cuz if you have the only water nearby they won't leave and they will be singing away for ever and ever with their, kids, grandkids and so on
frog-music.gif

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
JW,

So far they are still slumbering. I can't wait to see what shows up around the pond when things warm up. I also brought in several hundred tadpoles that were salamanders, tree frogs, and maybe some cascadia frogs. Cascadia's are the ones that stay close to /or in the water all summer.

Happy ponding,

Rich :biggrin:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
This morning with all the snow .and the pond still flowing, i have 100s of Robins
eating the berries around the yard and pond

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Are the Robbins eating fermented berries? We have a Holly bush next our house in the neighbors yard, and by the time the Robbins here get to the Holly berries in the late fall they fermented, and the birds get real crazy. It's quite entertaining to watch them flutter across the ground trying to take flight and even fly into things.

Happy ponding,

Rich :banana:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It was a holly bush.. rich
they ate every one of them , except the ones that fell to the bottom of the pond.
Were there was no snow along the back of the house they were lined up big time scratching in the mulch it was fun to watch

Ask a Question