Wine Barrel Patio Pond with Bog

Reaction score
I came across some info yesterday about finding re-used/reclaimed lumber locally for cheaper...
Saw this on the Honest Carpenter YT channel - if you have a Restore store then you can find cheaper re-used/reclaimed lumber etc. that was donated to Habitat for Humanity... not only that but a lot of other stuff - here is the video:

Might be of use to someone...

Reaction score
Country
United States
great idea Addy. I believe this is what I used for the bog construction:
So it's not actual reclaimed wood but it's made to look that way...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made this a few months back and had it running in my basement until the weather warmed up here in WI. I came across a few posts on this forum regarding bog filter size and how a small bog / pond system simply doesn’t work. Why wouldn’t something like this work? It’s been running for a few months now and the plants seem to be growing while the water is crystal clear. Am I missing something?

I constructed my bog out of some reclaimed 1x4’s and it holds .5 cubic feet of pea gravel. The bog itself is about 2 ft long x 8 inches wide x 8 inches deep with ¾” pvc running along the bottom to disperse the water (holes drilled every inch). The wine barrel holds 20 gallons of water. I have comets and rosy reds in the barrel. Any design concerns?

View attachment 138309
great job I love it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Looking great! I have a small planter bog on my 300 gallon hot tub pond m undersized for the amount of water. But it works
I would love to see pictures of your small planter bog and hot tub pond. I'm getting ready to build a small bog for my pond that is about 400 gallons.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would love to see pictures of your small planter bog and hot tub pond. I'm getting ready to build a small bog for my pond that is about 400 gallons.

I have a tube stuck in the bottom of the planter, pushing water up through a layer of pea gravel then kitty litter with plants. They are just starting to grow. It is slanted towards the pond the water just runs over the edge back into the pond.

The cord is for my underwater cam, I am getting ready to run it via a piece of pvc at ground level. The netting is due to herons, they wiped out this pond of its fantails a few years back.
Screenshot 2021-05-03 091708.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'd be curious where you saw posts that said a small pond with a bog wouldn't work. Maybe you saw posts that referred to smaller ponds being harder to keep in balance?

I love your set up! It's clever and good looking too! What did you line the whiskey barrel with?
Exactly what I was wondering.
I don't recall any negative posts here regarding bog filtration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great tub. it's good to hear that you're going to try growing a water lily in it because I'm also trying to grow a water lily in a tub that size.
I'm interested in having several tub-sized water gardens, since I have no room for an in-ground pond.. though I may try partly sinking one of the tubs into the earth... So far I have two, but no pumps or fish, just plants. My large one is 40 gallons, pictured below. My smaller one is probably about 20 gallons. No pics of that one yet, but that is the one with a small water lily in it.
IMG_7450.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a tube stuck in the bottom of the planter, pushing water up through a layer of pea gravel then kitty litter with plants. They are just starting to grow. It is slanted towards the pond the water just runs over the edge back into the pond.

The cord is for my underwater cam, I am getting ready to run it via a piece of pvc at ground level. The netting is due to herons, they wiped out this pond of its fantails a few years back. View attachment 138576
Thank you for sharing this. It really helps to see different setups.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Love it! All the surrounding decor and plants really tie it together

Ask a Question