Winter hardy goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a small garden pond, about 300 gallons, far too small for koi imo so this is about goldfish only. We live in VA and winter temps do dip into the freezing area sometimes. The pond is about 28” deep and I’ve never seen more tha the fist inch freeze. My research tells me that egg shaped goldfish like fantails, Ryukin, orandas, etc will not make it in cold temps and compressed body fish like comets will. Is this an acceptable and correct conclusion?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have comets, sarasa, and shubinkins. Have had them for 15 plus years. Seems like me every I may lose a couple from the winter but usually cause they get into the skimmer and freeze. They just go tot he bottom on the pond and semi hibernate. Just need to make sure you have a hole if it freezes solid so the gas can be exchanged.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
mice hello.gif
and welcome @Willragan
People on here have fantail fat little fish that survive just fine in cold climates like Maryland etc. @addy1 has them in one of her ponds.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Never tried, the short bodied Goldfish in my ponds, but As was mentioned never had an issue with goldfish over wintering. Have had them in a 300 gallon above ground stock tank, with nothing but a pond breather and over a foot of ice. Live in Maryland, so not to far from you.

Ask a Question