Preparing Hardy Water Lily for Winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the Pacific Northwest, Zone 8b, and I'm wondering how best to prepare my hardy water lily for winter, if at all?
Daytime temperatures here rarely stay below freezing in winter. I don't think there's much chance of the pond forming any ice.
I chose almost entirely hardy plants for the pond and I'm planning to wait and watch and see how most of them do, only cutting back their vegetation if needed; all the pots are below the waterline.
For the hardy water lily, it seems one option is to cut the vegetation and sink it to the lowest part of the pond (in my case, 2 feet).
Should I trim the water lily and make sure it's deep enough? Or just leave it alone?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If there is any chance your lily will freeze where it is, I would move it to deep water. Once the leave start to die back, just cut all the growth.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think there's much chance of the pond forming any ice.
With your zone and no ice I would just got back any dying growth and leave them where they are. I cut mine back and they are regrowing, sending buds to the surface again! I have some I keep forgetting to move, in about 12 inches of water on the bog wall shelf. They have yet to die due to winter. We do get ice, sometimes heavy, last few winters just a bit.

Per NOAA it is going to be a warm winter.

Ask a Question