Winterizing plants

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
Yesterday we had a major cold front. I managed to get most of the plants inside. However I'm only using an LED light but I know that's not a sufficient source of light. I've seen flourecent lamps used like those for fish tanks but I don't think they're energy efficient and energy bill is high enough. So for those who are experienced in winterizing plants do you have any tips or suggestion?

Reaction score
You CAN get LED grow lamps, but think the price of them would make you choke WAY more then normal bulbs LOL. We have 4' long florescent light strips ... They are the "shop light" style. Each hold 2 bulbs. Want to say I paid $20 each for the fixtures, and then have "grow bulbs" in them that we paid $10 each for.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For vegetative growth, use the bright white, daylight spectrum range. The 23 or 26 watts level bulbs. I grow tomatoes in the winter, they do great under those lights. Keep them on around 18 hours.

Reaction score
Hi addy... I have a question for you... totally uneducated LOL. After you posted the wattage on your bulbs, I looked at mine... they are 40 watt... they are Sylvania Growlux wide spectrum... 48" length if that makes any difference. I didnt buy these based on any advice, it is what "the store" had available when I went looking for bulbs... ironically, to start my tomatoes back in February LOL. Is there a major difference between what you have, and what I am using? Hubby doesn't know it yet, but my goal for him today is to go get another liner to build another pond in the basement for the plants LOL... Just want to know if I need to go hunt down new bulbs while we are at it;-)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ones with a watt reading are the compact florescent bulbs, those twisty ones. The tubes I just go for the color, daylight, cool white, bright white color temperature towards the 6500 range

I hang mine 1-2 inches above the plants.

Reaction score
Ohhh... you are using the ones I have in my lamps LOL... I was just at a nursery looking at grow bulbs, again 48" and they were wide spectrum 40 watts too... bought another 10x15 liner too;-)

FountainMan

Reaction score
I just got back from Wal*mart with some specialty plant light (bulbs). These are the wide spectrum but much cheaper than flourecent tubes. I also bought some plug in sockets which were 97 cents a peice so not too bad. I got those plugged into an indoor 15' extention cord at opposing plugs so they get a wider illumination area.

Right after I plugged them in and they lit up the Sensitive plants immediatly began to open as wide as they can as if it were a sunny day. I also found a small digital temperature probe to monitor the water temperature. The bulbs give off alot of heat. Right now the temperature of the water is 81.7F but the room is 77.1 so hopefully being the plants are tropical that they will enjoy the heat. Anyway looks like they're set for winter.

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the bulbs? Just want to be sure I am understanding the right type. We need more than we have, and hoping to go cheap where possible LOL

FountainMan

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of the bulbs? Just want to be sure I am understanding the right type. We need more than we have, and hoping to go cheap where possible LOL
Here ya go.

Attachments

• IMG238.jpg
    IMG238.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG237.jpg
    IMG237.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG240.jpg
    IMG240.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 275

Ask a Question