123 Go!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Work continues, retaining wall up, starting to build up the hillside/backdrop, 18" down so far, work crew still interested and working ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 248
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You are giving those kids the experience of a lifetime. We built our own pond specifically to give our youngest son a monumental project to complete after he graduated high school and before he headed off to college. It was a great learning experience for him as he planned all he details and figured all the materials for his "customers" (us) and had to stay in budget. He did a great job and learned two things - 1. ponds are awesome, 2. anything is possible if you persevere, and 3. he never wants to do physical labor like that to earn a living!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice work crew! Hope you are feeding them good fuel.....................

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's looking good, and the final result will be worth the hard work. My son helped me dig my first pond 20 years ago now, and it's still a very fond memory.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Update since my last post in May. As most of you heard or know if your from sunny CA, we had a water shortage though the summer. I wanted to be conscious of that so I stopped the project knowing that if I put in another weekend or two I would be ready for the liner. Without having the ability to fill, we were on water restrictions, I figured it wouldn't hurt to just wait. Well we have had some decent rain this winter, enough to fill up what I have dug a few times :) Now its forecast for 72* all weekend, breaking out the shovels and back to it. I'm sure multiple questions will arise as I fire this project back up but looking forward to it...so is the work crew!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Better hope that none of those boys has read "Tom Sawyer". Cheap beer bill, though.

As to filling it, why not just call in a water truck and eat the bill. At least you'll be "done", up and running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Well I have to finish digging first so I got a little more time before water goes in. Still gotta make decision on pump as well...to include if I'm adding a skimmer or putting submersible pump on bottom and skimming top of pond myself with net. Tying to keep things affordable as I can but still have good pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never had a skimmer as i felt there was no need for one .Anything falls in I use a pool net to get it out but there is not much around that area to blow in .I like my submerged pumps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I have read and read and watched a million you tube videos and I realize that perhaps it's the better option but I'm with ya sissy, seriously considering no skimmer. Gonna run two pumps, one to a diy sand and gravel filter and one through a uv light...hoping that will be adequate.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I guess it depends on your pond. I use to have an ash tree close to my pond and the skimmer was a life saver. Even with the net on, quite a lot of debris ended up in the pond and was caught by the skimmer. However when the tree was cut down, I can see where I could get away without a skimmer now. However, I planted another tree so it is only a matter of time before the skimmer will be needed again. ;)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've retrofitted many, many ponds with skimmers over the years for those people who didn't think they needed one at the time of the original build. It's not a huge undertaking to add a skimmer after a build.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll add my two cents here on skimmers - I've seen ponds with and without and have learned that a skimmer does more than just remove the debris you can see and scoop from the pond. To me, the surface of a pond that's being constantly skimmed sparkles in a way a skimmer-less pond doesn't. All the microscopic dust and debris that falls from the sky and settles on the pond surface is constantly being swept away rather than floating until it finally sinks. It may not add much to the overall cleanliness of the pond, but to me the aesthetics are definitely different.

Just another opinion. I also aesthetically prefer not seeing a lot of mechanicals in my pond. I know it's manmade, but the less of the working parts I can see the more I can maintain my illusions!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree ^^^ when mine is not running there is always a pollen film on the water. And it saves me when the maple seeds go flying everywhere. Then the apple blossoms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I agree that overall any additional filtration or skimming would be beneficial....they are just so darn expensive lol, anybody have a recommendation for skimmer at a good price?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maria dyke

Latest Threads