sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think my spitters help keep pollen moving .2 filters also help.11 years and no skimmer and like said you can always add it later when funds allow it .You can also build and in pond skimmer or buy one .I have seen them cheaper than built in skimmers

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I agree that overall any additional filtration or skimming would be beneficial....they are just so darn expensive lol, anybody have a recommendation for skimmer at a good price?

Use waterfall foam to eliminate the paint step. I've built a couple of these based on this concept (varying sizes for pond that have boulder edges but original build did not incorporate a skimmer).

This is a floating skimmer. The same concept (minus the flotation) can be used for an edge-in system. Look at the design of the commercially available units, then simply replicate it. Living is learning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I'm so thankful of everyone's willingness to give helpful advice. Kept the shovels going all day today, tomorrow holds more of the same, calling it as twilight sets!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 180
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
OK, two days of internet "you tubing" and research and I believe I have an additional DIY project on my hands. I really like the looks of the Helix pond skimmer, but at almost 500 dollars that's a big negative for this guy lol. However, I noticed you can order the skimmer basket and floating weir as replacement parts....soooo, I am considering cutting up a 35 gallon plastic barrel I have, installing a lip at proper height, inserting plexiglass "shelf" with circle cut for basket and then weir. Basically build my own version of Helix skimmer for under bout a hundred bucks. Am I crazy?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just used an external pool skimmer, works great. (external pump)

Never crazy when you are a ponder.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noelia5838

Latest Threads