Again, I just love watching baby fish! :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All of my babies are outside in a 50 gal. tote. Ever since moving out there, even with plants and plenty of places to hide, they scatter and hide any time I go to check on them. Except.....

And this is so funny......

When I am holding the end of the siphon tube, tube and hand in the tote and cleaning the bottom -- they totally ignore me. They swim around like nothing's different.

I guess it's 'cause when they were inside in the aquarium, I had my hand in there so much, cleaning, that they got to know MY HAND!

Reaction score
Lol! When i moved a bunch of the babies from the big pond to the little pond, I was using a really small black net I made just to catch babies, they wouldn't go near it! So I got out the HUGE WHITE butterfly net and they don't even move?!? I agree TM I like watching the babies too. This is my first batch of babies :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mmathis,Funny about your hand. My fish love to play around my net I use to skim the surface because I have never used it to catch them and they have no idea what it's for. I have to admit I love watching baby fish too. I had a population explosion 2 years ago and of the about 24 babies we had 20 of them are going strong now.They are even starting to copy the chasing game when the bigger fish start up in the mornings so I see all these little fish zipping around!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I can imagine their combined thoughs, ohh its the great hand in the sky come to visit again better ignore it other fish will think us crazy , like the Humans and UFO's. that we we saw on the colourful box in the corner" :LOL:
Or ":eek:. its the great eyes in the sky swim away hide"

Dave

Reaction score
Because I'm in a wheelchair, I use one of those long handled grabbers to pick up things that are out of my reach, like debris on the bottom.

It's shiny aluminum with a yellow plastic tip. My fish are always so curious about it when it's in the water, come nibble to see if it's food.

It makes me realize how you can sometimes catch a fish without any bait on the hook!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I also watch my baby fish all the time. My husband think I'm crazy.

Oh and I now know the difference between goldfish fry and guppies.. Just had to look at the way they swim and also the tail shape. ;)

Ask a Question