Alternate Pond Uses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How many of us have hobbies or avocations that are centered around our ponds? I'm sure there are breeders both plants and fish, scientific experiments, and other things that may never have occurred to some of us.
Personally, I built my pond as an alternative to a seldom used in ground swimming pool and tinkering with model radio control sail and power boats was a natural fit. When I'm talking about the pond when my wife is within ear-shot it's "The Garden Pond" at "Frog's Neck Inn". When I'm in my boat modelling mode and some fellow modelers (young and old) stop by it's the "Small Boat Test Facility".
Other than just enjoying the surroundings, what else does your pond provide for you?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We actually conceived of building a pond as a way to store water for an emergency. We were going to build an underground rain storage holding tank, started to do some research on that idea, and the rest, as they say, is history. Not really a "hobby" per se, just more of an interest in being prepared in the event of an emergency.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We are so rural, a "farm pond" or natural water source nearby is an asset when it comes to home insurance. Although the firefighter's pumper could empty our pond pretty quickly, I'd like to think it may make a difference until the tanker could get here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We are so rural, a "farm pond" or natural water source nearby is an asset when it comes to home insurance. Although the firefighter's pumper could empty our pond pretty quickly, I'd like to think it may make a difference until the tanker could get here.

Same here. The main reason I put a pond in is for firefighting backup.
After that, it's for the benefit of local wildlife.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Started my pond because my neighbor had a leaky sprinkler that always left a puddle of water in my yard. Just dug a big hole a lined it. Tried the aquatic plant thing but wasn't real happy with it, now it's fish only. I do use it to reflect my thoughts, and ponder what may happen in the future. A pond can be a wonderful source of relaxing energy, never a day goes by that I don't at least look out the window at it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
................... A pond can be a wonderful source of relaxing energy, never a day goes by that I don't at least look out the window at it.

I totally agree! Mine is tangible therapy for me whether I'm working around it or just sitting by it listening to the waterfall. I believe there are psychological benefits to a pond if one is willing to listen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine is tangible therapy for me whether I'm working around it or just sitting by it listening to the waterfall. I believe there are psychological benefits to a pond if one is willing to listen.

Agree so much with this! There are days when I'm sitting at work when I can just imagine myself sitting by the pond and feel the stress melting away. From the first sign of spring when I get home, I walk in the front door, drop my bags and head right out the back. Ahhhhh...

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a meditation zone so I can avoid the voices in my head that urge me to climb a clock tower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Like Smaug, I get along great with myself. I never argue with me, I never pick on me, I'm the first to offer me a drink........

I get along with myself most of the time. We have our moments though. Sometimes when I do something foolish I call myself "dummy!" and tell myself "I wish you hadn't done that!" I acknowledge the admonition then usually have to go get a band aid. Over all we're pretty civil, but if things get really testy a little time by the pond settles everything down again.

Ask a Question