Central Florida pond under construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very cool! Can also use the floating "noodles" they have for kids, cut to size, and glued to a pot. That's water clover in that pot in the pic, what a good way to keep it in check! Koi will probably nibble off any stragglers that think they are going to move out and on! And, love the idea of floating oasis, too. I also like the ideas others have posted of floating islands, with numerous pots in them.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
CE, that lilly bulb should have been stored dry, in dry wood chips, in a very cool place, when not in the pond or growing. The trouble with Lilly's is they tend to rot if in stale stagnant water, sitting on the very cold floor in the basement. Lilly's do not grow too good in these conditions, and the cold floor makes the water too cold to grow the Lilly (but to warm to prevent rot) even with lights, so they rot. When they are not growing, they can rot very quick. They also can rot in warmer stale water too, with poor lighting. Lilly's can rot very easy in these conditions. They get this blue green slime that shines around the bulb and that is the crown rot beginning. I have a very hardy water Lily that has been horribly neglected and let outside in the pond the last 21 years and somehow it is still alive! The ice cold water all winter keeps the bulb fresh when not growing. Tropical Lilly's bulbs that you can sometimes find at Wallmart or other places, are sold quite often very cheap, cause they are in a bag with woodchips and not planted up. This makes them easy to store and transport so the price can be very cheap. l purchased my Lilly years ago as a dry bulb. Dry Lilly bulbs grow very fast when planted up in the spring.
Years ago when I worked at this greenhouse I used to plant large water garden baskets up in mesh baskets cause that is the best way to plant water plants. The baskets are thick plastic mesh that are very durable in the water and last for many years. The mesh allows the plant roots to grow threw the holes and thus take up more nutrients. The trouble is most people don't know how to use them right. The baskets should be lined with paper and then the soil of your choice placed in. I used to use a brown paper bag to line my baskets and made my own soil out of stinky river clay, peat, and some topsoil. I would mix the soil in a big tub and mix in a little bit of water and mix well till it turned into a heavy thick jiggly mass. This mixture when mixed right, the one part clay from the river muck would make everything stick together real nice and the plant would root thew this in record time. Don't use this soil with koi as they just love the muck and will dig it all out and make big mess in pond! Most people just use plain kitty litter type soil, but that soil never gets solid and the kitty litter can dump out of basket if basket is knocked over in pond. The heavy clay soil I used to make would stick really good to the pot and not fall out like kitty litter.

Larger stones should be placed over top of the kitty litter as large koi have been known to disturb the roots and dig in kitty litter too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Colleen, are you referring to the tropical lilies I said I have in the basement? I read they are supposed to be kept moist, so I had them loosely in a plastic bag, not wet, just moist. Probably killed them all. The plants I put in soil in the basement are canna's, and if those bulbs die, so be it. I let them totally dry out, placed them on a shelf on brown paper. Same thing with the elephant ear and black taro. Those are the bulbs I planted, and just looked, nothing has sprouted yet. I suspect it's too cool for them to sprout, so will just be patient. No mold growing, pots have moist soil, but are not standing in water. The tropical lily bulbs are still moist, no mold, still very firm, so I think they will be ok. We shall see! Thanks for the pointers.
On the mesh pots, if you lined the pot with brown paper, would the paper eventually rot away and allow the roots to grow out of the mesh pot then? I know that's supposed to be a good thing, roots growing out of the pot, just as long as you can trim the roots and repot the plant if/when necessary. I've just found them to be very frustrating trying to repot them. What plants could be planted in them that would not need to be repotted every year or two? I'm still trying to think of something to put in that nice mesh pot.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can buy the mesh baskets at a dollar store also .The plant roots grow through them and break them anyways ,so none of them hold up .I put y plants in a mesh dollar store laundry bag and then put them in a dollar store basket .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wow Sissy your back! I missed your posts and wondered how you were doing? :)

They mess baskets that I was taking about are the black ones designed for ponds. I still have one in the pond with my big sweet flag in it. The sweet flag has overgrown that basket 10 years ago I think, but I just left it alone cause it is doing so well and they alway overgrown there pot. That mesh basket is like 20 years old. The other mesh basket bust many years ago that the Yellow Flag water iris used to be in, and it broke away easy as the Yellow Flag grows different, the rihzomes pushed the basket till it broke, whereas the sweet flag the rihzomes grew over top the pot.

My old hardy lilly is planted in an big old kitchen plastic vegetable strainer which is still fine 20 years later, except the Lilly is in desperate need of transplanting.

The tropical Lilly's that I used to plant up years ago at this greenhouse that I worked at came shipped dry in wood chips and they were in really good shape with new growth tips, just like the ones they sold at Wal-Mart, they too would sit on the shelves all spring packed dry in just wood chips and they were in great shape as well, with new growth tips all over waiting to sprout. I USED to think they had to be stored damp but after working with the ones that were packed dry in wood chips and kept very cool, I know think they keep better that way. Although I don't have a tropical Lilly, but I was very tempted to buy one after seeing how well they grow, but I don't have space left in pond for them to grow, and I don't want to be bothered with taking in a tropical Lilly.

If your bulb is firm with no signs of mold, then they should be fine. :)

Reaction score
Some more recent pics (from tonight):

I had to throw in a few of our pets. One with one of our cats and both dogs, and another with the other cat. All enjoying the late-afternoon sunshine.

As I had previously mentioned, a few plants outside the pond have been moved around, most prominently the addition of Kangaroo Paw next to the electrical outletpost in place of the stromanthe sanguinea "triostar" [I originally thought it was variegated Ctenanthe Oppenheimiana (Never Never Plant)].

Also a couple close ups of some irises that recently opened up.

shakaho, I can't take any useful pics of the goldfish you gave us yet, but I'll keep an eye on them. They are still quite shy. Not surprising with two dogs and two cats prowling around near the pond (even if they are indifferent to the critters in the water!)

I was given a smallish (100 gal) preformed pond by a co-worker (he keeps koi in his screened-in lanai area, never used the pond shell), which I will be installed as a bog for carnivorous plants. Anyone know of a handy place to buy CPs in the Orlando area?

shinksma

Attachments

• IMG_3649_1024.jpg
    IMG_3649_1024.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3655_1024.jpg
    IMG_3655_1024.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3660_1024.jpg
    IMG_3660_1024.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3668_1024.jpg
    IMG_3668_1024.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3675_1024.jpg
    IMG_3675_1024.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_3676_1024.jpg
    IMG_3676_1024.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 228
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh my, thanks so much for the spring greenery you have near your pond. What lovely pics, and I love the animal pics, too. My dogs and cat are oblivious to the fish, too, although my one cat used to love to chase the frogs into the water, acted like he was going to catch one. All he did was knock the rocks into the pond from the ledge. LOL The turtles that got out of the pond were fair game to the dogs, though, and I hate that, but I guess that's nature. Now, if they would just learn to kill the snapping turtles and leave the painted turtles alone, that would be fine, but I fear the snappers would do more damage to them that they would do to that type of turtle. Just need to leave the mama alone, as she's larger than a dinner plate!!!
Beautiful flowers, too. I'm still waiting for spring to decide to come and stay here in IL. Soon .... hoping it's soon ...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
we love pets on here and love to see them and enjoy hearing about them .geeze jw I would be a frozen in place there .Not sure i could take that kind of cold as it is hard on the bones .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice pix Shink and love all your cute pets! Very nice pond and property you have there too. Looks like you have wonderful landscaping skills :blueflower:

Sissy I just knew you would never move to Michigan. I lived there for 2 yrs and one of them was some of the worst snow weather they had had in years. I had enough of that and not fair cuz I love the snow but it was too cold to go out in it for a nice walk or play in it :grumble:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I just loved your pet family photos, looks like all the pets like to relax by the pond too! When the weather is nice here in the summer, my puppies loves to sit by pond with me and relax, and soak up some Sunny vitamin D! :)

Reaction score
Looks like the dogs and cats like chilling by the pond.

Went to the Wildflower Festival in Deland today, brought home a swamp milkweed and a scarlet hibiscus. Also some land Florida variety of columbine.

A vendor there had a small selection of carnivorous plants, he said he has a LOT more at his place. It is EFG Orchids, www.efgorchids.com in Deland. I've also heard tell of somebody in the New Symrna beach / Edgewater area that specializes in carnivorous plants, but I've never tried to find out who that is. There is a pretty good variety of local pitcher plants and some sundew and bladderwart to be found around local water that is probably just now starting to come out of dormancy.

Wellspring Gardens is a good online source for seedling sized carnivorous plants.

Sounds like a fun project!

Shawn

Sweet Pea
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some good idea's. Your pond size is very close to ours. I think you will be happy with it. We have a waterfall at one end and a skimmer at the other. Our pond is 3 ft. deept at one end and about a foot and a half at the other. My husband wanted a bog end for plants. This worked out pretty good, the plants are doing great and the fish love it. Hope all works out. Hope to see some pictures real soon.
shinksma said:
Hey all,

New to the forum, just registered, been lurking for a while as I considered options for the pond currently under construction in the backyard.

I live in the Orlando area (central Florida), but I used to live much further north, where a frozen pond was guaranteed and I couldn't get the water warm enough all summer long to even think about a lotus. Now I'm wondering whether my new pond will be too warm for goldfish...

Anyway, my previous pond in the northern climate was successful, so I'm not too stressed about how to make my new build work. Although the sandy soil presents some challenges - again, different from the clay/loam mix I previously experienced.

Also most annoying is the lack of natural stone in the environment. I can't just ask a rural friend if I can come over to his/her property and take excess stone from the edge of the field that they would like to dispose of. No, I have to pay real money for rock!

So the pond I'm building is about 13' x 9' x 2'. I used HDPE as a liner - it is indeed quite stiff when cool, but is managable when warmed up in the sun. The liner is in, filled with water, and the edges are being held down by patio stones - the liner will wrap up behind and over the patio stones and be hidden by the final edging material (flagstones/whatever).

I'll be posting pictures sooner or later - I have taken photos during the major stages of construction, and the next phase is getting the rock/material that will edge the pond and hold the liner down. The rock/material is what I'm reasearching/browsing for now: do we want a flagstone look, or more boulder-oriented? What color scheme, if any? How many layers of flagstone (or how much boulder rubble)? It's a fine line between a natural-looking pond edge and something that looks tidy enough while also functional.

Anyway, in the meantime thanks everyone else for posting pics and sharing thoughts - this site is a great resource,

shinksma

Reaction score
Hello again...

Been busy with "other stuff" (life, work, other hobbies, blah blah). But I've been enjoying the pond, and the goldfish shakaho gave us. They have finally lost their shyness, and whenever I approach the pond they swim to the surface near me to ask for food. If put my hand in to adjust a plant/pot they swim around my hand, hoping for something, I guess.

Here are a few pics from today:

IMG_5443_1024_zpsc8e87cb9.jpg

IMG_5495_1024_zps6bd93a4f.jpg

IMG_5492_1024_zps3207e177.jpg

The horsetail is annoyed because it got knocked over in the wind/rain sometime in the past week or two (I was away for a bit, and ignored the pond for a few days after).

On another note, I had intended to create an acidic bog garden to grow carnivorous plants using a small pre-formed pond liner. I could never get the pH below 8 for very long (!), no matter how much muriatic acid or sulfur I added. I tested the water and sand, and they both came back neutral (pH 7), so I am wondering whether the peat I used was somehow acting an an alkalinity buffer. Weird. Anyway, I emptied it out, filled it with water, and it is now a duckweed farm, with a couple of other plants in it.

Anyway, hopefully I will remember ro post here more often.

shinksma

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used peat and sand 50/50 mix, our rain and well water are acidic, the carnivorous plants love it. Full sun. I used a cheap home depot liner, 9 bucks, dug a shallow hole, around 6 inches deep. Filled it with the mix, the roots are shallow don't need a lot of depth.

Ask a Question