My pond photos

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would definitely help in "spirit" just like J.W. I think I'm going to enjoy watching other ponders working now. :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat Tmann, will be fun to watch. If you need any bog plants I can supply you some, not the carnivorous ones, but others. My carnivorous are too young to divide.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So here is truck load #2 of rock that I loaded tonight. 8 more to go I think!
photo.JPG

This is the area I am going to put the bog, it is about 7'x 10' give or take a foot or two. It will be about 18" deep built up with a rock wall all the way around it and digging down about 8" or so depending on the tree roots.
P1030866.JPG
P1030867.JPG

This is another view, the bog will be to the right of this tree where the rocks are sitting right now as a marker.
P1030869.JPG

The water will flow out of the bog directly across from my other filter. So if you are standing in the creek looking up the creek my filter will be on the right and the bog on the left.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice rocks! The ones I dig up just dissolve, you find a pile of dirt after a few months.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like the perfect place for the bog tmann and love your trees in bloom!
You say 8 more loads of rock....................yikes my aching back! Nice big rocks you found!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And tmann believes you and wonder if you are talking about Casper the friendly ghost as the spirit

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Today I started laying out the design of the bog. Went and got some rock from the neighborhood, need about 10 more loads like the one I did today... I am really tired of hunting for rock then loading it in the truck then unloading it into wheel barrow and then finally wheeling that heavy thing up my small hill to where the bog is going to be. Now that I have started I can't quit. Plan on working on it during the evenings after work if it is nice and if I am not too tired. I am looking forward to the finished product and getting some plants in there.

Think of it as a free gym membership! :) For me the hunting part is the fun part, but I hear you on the loading and unloading part. I usually don't notice it until the next day when my forearms are dead. If you don't have a 2 wheeled wheel barrow, see if you have a sams club near you and check out theirs. Its only about $65, hard plastic and works well. The handles are a little far apart, but it seems a lot sturdier to me than the ones homedepot sells, plus with both wheels you don't have to worry about balance and can focus your energy on pushing the thing. It says it can hold 500 lbs. Looks like a great spot for it, does this mean you put the dock on hold for now?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah the dock is on hold for a month or two, still deciding on how I want to do it. Not quite sure how I want to do it, thought I did but then saw something else I might try to do.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today I started on the bog only to realize I need about twice as much rock as I have hauled so far, so will have to do that this weekend if it isn't raining. I am building it up about 12" in the front of the bog and about 16" in the back to get it to be level. That is higher than I wanted but have to in order to get it to flow out the way I want it to. Then i will be digging down about 6-10" depending on how hard it is to dig.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Happy hauling and digging tmann and hope you get it just right the way you want it and rain free working!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought the one at sams club too and love it the balance is so much better and i like the wider handles I think it helps with the weight .I had one from lowes but after 15 years it finally rusted through,but served it's purpose well .Now it holds flowers .Trash to treasure .

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I bought the one at sams club too and love it the balance is so much better and i like the wider handles I think it helps with the weight .I had one from lowes but after 15 years it finally rusted through,but served it's purpose well .Now it holds flowers .Trash to treasure .

The best thing about them is how sturdy they are and the price. It took several tons of rocks being thrown in before I finally cracked the thing and just added some epoxy to the cracks to fix it yesterday, will see how it worked out. The only reason I don't like the wide handles is because I usually load the thing to capacity and it would be easier for me to lift/push it if they were a little closer together, but it works. If this one cracks more I will definitely buy another one, glad they carry them every year and put together.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is a warranty on them against cracking .I was missing a couple of bolts for the handle when i bought mine and was going to drive to Danville to return it but went online and the main office sent me the bolts and extra ones .They came in handy to as i lost one must have not had it tight enough .Lost the nut and bolt .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What kind of soil do you have to dig in?

Herz most of my soil is clay however the hill this is sitting on was fill dirt from the foundation that was dug out and when I landscaped it I added a ton of soil enhancers and when I was digging up the plants in the area they seemed to dig up rather easy so I think going down 10" should be doable.

Ask a Question