JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I went hiking this morning and all I got was this bad shot of a crow chasing a hawk.

IMG_4878 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The Barred Owls slept all day in the neighbor's magnolia and then plopped themselves along the street to watch the dog walkers.
Wonder when they will nest or if they are or if they won't cuz they are family? Would love to see more of them come around to show off the babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wonder when they will nest or if they are or if they won't cuz they are family? Would love to see more of them come around to show off the babies.
If I had to guess (which I am), I think she is just too young but should be able and ready by next year. (I don't think incest is a deterrent) They would have hatched by now for this year. Their nesting tree is very close to us. The last two years we've had babies show up and hang out and be warned - they were adorable!

Attachments

• 20220614_092210_exported_21976.jpg
    20220614_092210_exported_21976.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220615_084915_exported_56566.jpg
    20220615_084915_exported_56566.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 2
  • P1040130.jpg
    P1040130.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If I had to guess (which I am), I think she is just too young but should be able and ready by next year. (I don't think incest is a deterrent) They would have hatched by now for this year. Their nesting tree is very close to us. The last two years we've had babies show up and hang out and be warned - they were adorable!
They’re such cool birds, some of the keenest eyes on any in the woods. They along with wild turkeys and crows have been some of the only animals that have made me put in full camo sitting in an archery stand, I think they see your eyes move. Barreds can be downright comical with their head gyrations and calls. Your pics are making me miss the water oak we had cut down that was next to our driveway, I used to see one in it every morning when I loaded the kids and my stuff for the day. Thanks for sharing these!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They’re such cool birds, some of the keenest eyes on any in the woods. They along with wild turkeys and crows have been some of the only animals that have made me put in full camo sitting in an archery stand, I think they see your eyes move. Barreds can be downright comical with their head gyrations and calls. Your pics are making me miss the water oak we had cut down that was next to our driveway, I used to see one in it every morning when I loaded the kids and my stuff for the day. Thanks for sharing these!
I'm so glad you enjoy them - they just light up my life :)
Your archery stand story reminds me of one from my son that lives nearby - he was hunting in archery season sitting under a rock overhang and after a while he noticed a Barred Owl sitting on the ground a few feet away! They're sooooo stealthy and I think sometimes they're a little curious about us too. And yes, they're very entertaining.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went over to a local park this morning. The park is so close to being a "perfect" community park. It's got a lot of things going for it. Playground, splash pad, pickleball, soccer fields, basketball courts, shelters, recreational paths, etc.
The one thing it's missing is good prairie habitat. It has a nice pond that would look good surrounded in prairie. It also has a lot of open, weedy mowed areas that will never see much foot traffic. Perfect for some prairie strips. Hopefully one day. I don't know if they have plans to. The area is so weedy it makes me think they've still got future plans, or else they'd probably have seeded grass by now.

IMG_5559 copy.jpg

Muskrat
IMG_5564 copy.jpg

Savannah sparrow
IMG_5579 copy.jpg

IMG_5591 copy.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As you all can probably tell, I've been getting in as much hiking as possible this year after really missing out a lot last year. I've probably already hiked as much over the past few weeks as all last year combined. We've also had some really nice weather lately and it's nice getting out before the hot humid summer comes.

Painted turtle crossing a recreational path.
IMG_5913 copy.jpg

Red-bellied woodpecker
IMG_5895 copy.jpg

Geese that swam up to yell at me.
IMG_5900 copy.jpg

IMG_5898 copy.jpg

Red Admirals continue to be ALL OVER THE PLACE this spring. I've never seen so many before.
IMG_5864 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Had a fantastic time hiking at Hawthorn Hollow Nature Sanctuary yesterday. One of my favorite places in southeastern Wisconsin to just take a leisurely stroll through woodlands, wetlands, and prairie. And it's gotten even better ever since it expanded, and now has a nice restored wetland you can walk around.

Trillium
IMG_5929 copy.jpg

Wild blue phlox
IMG_5932 copy.jpg

IMG_5934 copy.jpg

The Pike River
IMG_5938 copy.jpg

Virginia bluebells
IMG_5942 copy.jpg

IMG_5943 copy.jpg

Newly restored wetlands
IMG_5961 copy.jpg

IMG_5964 copy.jpg

Scarlet paintbrush, my first time ever seeing in the wild!
IMG_5965 copy.jpg

sandpiper
IMG_5971 copy.jpg

They've installed signs since the last time I was there.
IMG_5960 copy.jpg

IMG_5978 copy.jpg

IMG_5981 copy.jpg

IMG_5986 copy.jpg

And they built this overlook.
IMG_5988 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Had a fantastic time hiking at Hawthorn Hollow Nature Sanctuary yesterday. One of my favorite places in southeastern Wisconsin to just take a leisurely stroll through woodlands, wetlands, and prairie. And it's gotten even better ever since it expanded, and now has a nice restored wetland you can walk around.

Trillium
View attachment 163059

Wild blue phlox
View attachment 163060

View attachment 163061

The Pike River
View attachment 163062

Virginia bluebells
View attachment 163063

View attachment 163064

Newly restored wetlands
View attachment 163066

View attachment 163067

Scarlet paintbrush, my first time ever seeing in the wild!
View attachment 163068

sandpiper
View attachment 163069

They've installed signs since the last time I was there.
View attachment 163076

View attachment 163070

View attachment 163071

View attachment 163072

And they built this overlook.
View attachment 163073
Are all these places you visit really close by...............if so you are so lucky!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are all these places you visit really close by...............if so you are so lucky!

Mostly, yes!

And many of them have had some restoration efforts in just the past decade. Many just in the last handful of years. It's been exciting, and I hope it continues! Many of these places were low-quality habitats filled with invasive plants, but now they're really starting to become something much more useful to a lot more wildlife. (Oh, I saw a Wild Turkey yesterday at Hawthorn Hollow, too, but didn't get a photo of it) The main emphasis has been about cleaner waterways as well as general habitat restoration for endangered species. A lot of this has been done with help from Fund for Lake Michigan, Root-Pike Watershed Initiative Network, and many other organizations.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another quick hike this morning.

I visited the hidden cascade for the first time in four years! I used to visit it quite a bit. Unfortunately, a lot of invasive plant species are taking over since the last time I was there, primarily buckthorn and garlic mustard. :(
IMG_6195 copy.jpg

Great Blue Heron
IMG_6203 copy.jpg

Savannah Sparrow
IMG_6160 copy.jpg

Ask a Question