New koi jumped out and died.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had a small gin rin platinum ogon that was hiding a lot... sometimes it swam with the others but most times was hiding. I figured it was because it was new... no marks/sores in its body and it didnt act weird besides the fact it would swim a little with the rest of the fish then turn off to the nearest plant pot and hide. I would put food near its hiding spot and he would eat... today I took many pics and even video.

So tonight I go out and go to get some fallen leaves out and I spot a fish in the driveway... its all white... our little gin rin platinum ogon jumped out... my husband is going to be sad about this... I am trying not to get upset over it... it was a smaller koi (about 4.5 inches long?).

I was out there taking pics and video today and i did notice it seemed a bit more scared and would dart around when eating.

I looked over the body of the fish and saw no cuts/scrapes or any kind of wounds or anything. There were ants all over it though but I didnt see anything to make me feel like this little guy was sick or something. Maybe it just got curious but it sure jumped pretty far. I dont know if my cat scared it or a bird over head (I do have a fake owl next to my pond on a fencepost)... hope the fake owl didnt scare him.

yep. thats about it. :(

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So sorry to hear!

I'll bet it was a predator, even though you didn't find any marks. That might explain why it was so skittish, too.

Ask a Question