Newbie to the forum

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Greetings! My name is Bradford. My wife Gailyn and I live in Bossier City, Louisiana. We have a pond in the back yard that is about 15 x 17 in size, with 2 waterfalls and lots of plants. There are 3 fairly good size koi in the pond (can't wait until they get HUGE!) along with several other goldfish and other fish.

This morning I went out to feed the fish, and was surprised to see a red ear slider turtle come up to feed as well. First time to see that fellow, and have no idea where he came from. His shell appears to be about 5" from front to back, and he was swimming alongside the fish. They did not appear afraid of him at all, so I guess he can hang around.

Anyone else had a turtle just show up? We are in a large neighborhood (I'd say we are "in town") so I'm baffled about his appearance in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome-Daisy-Bug.gif
Wingbug

Maybe the turtle is an escape from someone's pond in the neighborhood and has decided he likes your pond better. I know they can eat the tiny fish if they can catch them but lots of time won't bother them at all. You might want to make sure he is getting his own food so he won't be tempted to catch yours :nananananana:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group...........yep a sure sign you have a great pond! a permanent visitor.

flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I feel better now. It was a total shocker to see the guy. First thing I did was hit the internet to identify him, then to see if he would be a hazard to anything in the pond. Best I can tell the worst thing he'll do is munch on some plants, but there should be plenty left over no matter how much he eats.

Reaction score
If you have lilies or lotus, they will eat them. They also like water lettuce and hyacinth. They will destroy some lilies though (because the lilies don't grow fast enough).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've got one lotus plant in the pond. It actually needs to be pulled out of the pond and trimmed, as it's got a couple of runners that have escaped the pot and are making their way across the pond. Water lily plants are everywhere, just about every day we have 6 or 7 beautiful blooms on the pond. How voracious is the turtle? Will he do significant damage?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't think a 5" turtle all by himself will do much damage. Just watch him and see how it goes. You will be able to tell real soon :cool:
I think it would be so cool to have one in my pond but I would worry that he would escape :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard fellow Louisianian! I really don't think he will cause to much of a problenm in that size pond, As long as they can get food they don'y normally bother fish too bad. They may get a smaller one here and there but for the most part they are great scavangers and clean up anything the fish don't get. I just had a Little 4"-5" musk turtle show up. I had one in the pond for several years and when I rebuilt my pond I tooh it to a large drainage ditch and let it go. I really am thinking this may be the same turtle, same size same colored haed and most of all, it comes to the same spot to be fed and it's not afraid of me at all. I'm going to keep an eye on him closely but for now, he has a new home if he wants to stick around, If not he can find his way back out.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 291
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 255
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, my wife now thinks I've gone crazy. Turtle didn't show up for feeding yesterday evening or this morning while she was out there. I'm betting he's still there, just didn't come out to eat. Hope she gets to see him, or that I'll have my camera with me next time, just so I can prove it to her.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome wingbug and well guess you have a new pet .I have a snapping turtle here and all he does is help himself to the dropped food and then goes away

Ask a Question