Pond liner size

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks guys!

Also, another question. Those of you who run pond skimmers and bottom drains, I assume you just use two separate pumps? I'm going to be building a bottom drain for this pond for sure, and I'll build a skimmer as well, but that won't be until later. I currently run an 800 gph pump for my pond. Would it be much of a problem to run the 800 gph pump for a month or two until I buy a larger 2000-3000 gph pump for this estimated 2000 gallon pond? Then I'd run the bottom drain with the larger pump and the skimmer with the smaller pump and have it all go into my bio filter. This winter was quite harsh and killed off most of my fish, sadly, which means my fish load is extremely low. I'm left with only a few small fish, maybe 15" of total fish at best.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Would it be much of a problem to run the 800 gph pump for a month or two until I buy a larger 2000-3000 gph pump for this estimated 2000 gallon pond?

For a long term setup the gph should be at least equal to the size of the pond, but we all have budgets and running a smaller gph for a couple months will be just fine. I ran a 200gph in my 400g pond for about 3 months before I could afford to upgrade, and probably will run a low gph again for my new pond until I can upgrade.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys! I decided to play it safe and just buy the bigger 20x20 liner... I won't starve because of it I guess! But since I was buying the liner, I decided to dig it a little bit bigger!! So now it's about 11x12' and 40" at the deepest.

It looks far from impressive in the picture, but here is the "finished" hole:

IMG_20140419_191115-XL.jpg

Good thing I had a couple helpers to give me a hand!

DSC_0925-XL.jpg

Lucky you! looks like i'll be digging mine on my own.....with very little help from my dad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I had completely forgotten about my tax refund this year (last year I owed!)... Which was just deposited yesterday! Since it wasn't planned into my budget... It's basically free pond money!!! So, the bigger liner is no problem, and I don't have to wait to buy my larger pump!

If anyone is interested, I started a build thread here: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-gallons-with-bottom-drain.14141/#post-217998

Ask a Question