Sand & Gravel Filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?68132-Birdman-s-Sand-Gravel-Filter

The above is a link to the plans we used to build the sand & gravel filter. I say "we", but my husband deserves the credit!

I'm posting some pictures I took this afternoon. I'm still mulling over ideas for the appearance of the wooden structure my husband built to hide the barrel and camouflage the three inch return line.

The first time we back washed it, we used our shop vac. The second time, it didn't work and we discovered it wasn't strong enough. Ironically we had great success using our professional dog blower ( we have three newfoundlands ) and it's truly amazing to see the gunk that comes out.

I'm not a serious koi keeper, but am serious about taking good care of them :) A down side to this filter is, if you don't like to perform water changes, as you need to add water after back washing it. My hope is this filter reduces the time we spent cleaning our old filters.
IMG_0971.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
thnx for sharing tuta , its good size filter , very nice setup u and ur husb made :) , in how many months do u clean it ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
thnx for sharing tuta , its good size filter , very nice setup u and ur husb made :) , in how many months do u clean it ?
According to the directions, it can be cleaned every two weeks, but I'm cleaning it a couple time a week for Spring start up. I think I'll clean it once a week during the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How long did it take to build it?

Well, longer then it should have - ha ha! I originally thought it would be on cement blocks, painted and landscaping around it, but hubby built this structure, which took time.

The actual filter didn't take that long, but we had to redo plumbing etc. Trying to decide if I'll stain the wood, or paint in the same shade of green as the pond shack...as we call it :)

I would encourage those who are interested, to try it. The man who created the plans is super nice and answered our many questions.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How many pumps do you have running? Just the one going to the new filter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How many pumps do you have running? Just the one going to the new filter?

2000 GPH is recommended for the filter, so the media doesn't fluidize. I have a 2000 in the skimmer. I also run a 3000 GPH pump to the water fall.

Trying to think of a use for my 1200 GPH Pondmaster, but have it pulled for now.....maybe I just don't need it.

My goal was to simplify pond keeping , while improving filtration....and hopefully not ruin the beauty of the pond area!

I forgot to mention we bought the kit from the guy who designed this. It cost $149 and it had all the fittings included and came pre-drilled....to us, it was well worth it. I bought the barrel for $30 off Craigslist. We had to buy PVC pipes and the media, both from Lowes....except the chicken grit...that came from Tractor Supply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How often does it need to be cleaned?
I've read varying suggestions. I think a good measure of when it needs cleaning, is to remove the cap from the pipe the blower goes in and if the water in it, is high, or flowing over the top....it needs cleaning.

Right now I'm cleaning it a couple times a week, hoping to stretch to once a week and longer, during the summer. It only takes a few minutes to back wash it and another 15 minutes to replenish water to the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like the hide! If it was mine I would paint it green like the other blends in more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Great job on the S/G filter build.
Does the skimmer that houses the pump feeding the S/G filter have mechanical filter pads before the pump? I ask because if the pump is prefiltered for large particles less will get to the S/G filter . Then maybe it would take longer before needing to be cleaned out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Great job on the S/G filter build.
Does the skimmer that houses the pump feeding the S/G filter have mechanical filter pads before the pump? I ask because if the pump is prefiltered for large particles less will get to the S/G filter . Then maybe it would take longer before needing to be cleaned out.

The pump sits inside a Savio skimmer and just has the Savio pads, which I rinse regularly. I've read where some serious koi keepers have sieves and such, before the S & G filter, but the man who designed this filter, told me, it's all I need due to the size of my pond and only having 4 koi. I sure hope so !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Like the hide! If it was mine I would paint it green like the other blends in more.

That's what I'm leaning towards :)

Hubby originally wanted to make a door and roof for this structure. I'm not so sure.....I think if it's painted green, it'll blend with the hedge of box woods behind it and the barrel has a lid to keep debris out. I kind of like having it open in the back and could paint the barrel green too...just not sure yet....if he wants to build a door, that would be fine too.

Ask a Question