Something wrong with koi-"bloodshot" please help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a large (3000 gal) pond with a waterfall. A few weeks ago I lost a fish. Hadn't seemed sick, although I noticed its color had changed a bit prior to dying. Today I noticed one of my large, all white Koi looks completely bloodshot for lack of a better term. I can see veins all over its body and a few sort of bruised/red/purplish patches. We recently had a lot of rain, but the pond looks pretty clear. I treat it with something for algae and to enhance good bacteria about once a week. I did check the PH and other things recently and it looked good but this fish definitely looks like something is going on. I will try to take a photo but it is hard to capture due to reflection on the water. The fish that died in retrospect also appeared to be getting a pink hue, although I attributed it at the time to normal color changes that Koi sometimes have. What could this be from? what should I do? This Koi is maybe 10 inches long or so and has been in the pond the 3 or 4 years I have been here- it came with the house.

Thanks
Artie

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is it Attie or Artie? I tried to tag you using both, neither worked..... Sorry to hear about the fish :(

It's going to be some issue with water quality causing stress to the fish and/or [they are related] making the fish susceptible to bacterial infections. We can only make guesses at this point, so more information is needed before we can give you sound advice..... See next paragraph.

Please go to this thread in our "illness" topic: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...-water-quality-algae-fish-problems-etc.12395/ and read through the info. Then if you would, post as much of the requested info as you can. For example,

• you said that you checked "the pH and other things recently...." We need you to a test now and report the actual numbers you get.
  • What kind of filtration do you have?
  • How many total fish do you have and how big are they?
  • Have you recently added any new fish? And if so, we're they quarantined before going into your pond?
  • Has anything changed recently: your fish keeping habits, the weather, fish behavior....?
And if you can get pictures, that would be great -- always helpful!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since your fish are showing signs of septicemia I suggest that you immediately switch to a medicated food. Once we get the additional information that Mmathis requested, perhaps we can get to the cause of the problem.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since your fish are showing signs of septicemia I suggest that you immediately switch to a medicated food. Once we get the additional information that Mmathis requested, perhaps we can get to the cause of the problem.
Do you have recommendations for a medicated food?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Be sure to test your water for ammonia. I have read that a white fish will take on a pink hue when stressed because of high ammonia levels. Gills will also be red.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_6460.JPG
IMG_6461 2.JPG
IMG_6449.JPG
IMG_6452.JPG
IMG_6463 2.JPG
IMG_6463.JPG
IMG_6464 2.JPG
IMG_6465 2.JPG
IMG_6466.JPG
Sorry for the lack of detail I provided. Hopefully this will help.
  • yes, recently bought more fish. I bought 8, 2 died (bought them where they were supposed to have been quarantined. I do think they had been injured at the store because employee told me over holiday weekend they weren't cared for and PH went way up). I think I had already lost a fish recently prior to buying new- and the rest of the new all seem healthy.
  • last week we had very high temps and humidity with no break or rain for many days. The last few days the temps have dropped.
  • I have maybe 15 to 20 fish. A few big (12-16"), many medium (8-12) and several small (5-8")
  • temp last eve was about 75 degrees
  • Tested water (see photos). from what I can tell PH etc look good. Does the test strip test ammonia? Is that a separate test and if so , what brand is recommended?
It is hard to see the pink on the fish but it is usually white white. Close up, I can see veins all over and one pink spot. I think I have seen PH burns before (when pond was worked on and they were tanked) and those were more black. Pond has been this size and full for a year- my electric is out for the aerator, but there is a rather large waterfall that goes 24/7 during the warm months.
IMG_6449.JPG
IMG_6452.JPG
IMG_6463 2.JPG
IMG_6463.JPG
IMG_6464 2.JPG
IMG_6465 2.JPG
IMG_6466.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh ya, and I have some kind of bioball bag (bag full of little ball things) in the top of waterfall. In the skimmer I have a net and a row of brushes to catch debris. That is all I know about filters really

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How are the other fish doing? Any changes? Hang in there!

This is what a lot of us use -- it has ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. We recommend drop tests over strips, but what you have is a good starting point for you. (Strips tend to be less accurate/reliable). Also, just a tip, but hold the tube over the white part of the card where it slightly overlaps the color strips.

image.jpeg

I'll let those with experience dealing with sick fish take over from here, but I think it began with the addition of the new fish. Whether they were sick to begin with, I can't say. But for future reference, ALWAYS quarantine new fish! .....no matter what the seller or previous owner says.

@Meyer Jordan @Dave 54

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Based on the test information that you have provided, all of the pond's parameters appear to be within acceptable range.
For now, I would proceed with the medicated food regime and closely monitor the existing visible symptoms. Do not introduce any pond treatment to your water. Advise us if other symptoms appear or if other fish manifest symptoms of disease. What you are dealing with is apparently an internal issue brought on by some acute external stressor. With use of the medicated food these symptoms should abate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You really need to buy an API pond master water perameters kit and not use a stick test kit which are highly suspect in their readings

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Ask a Question