What steps do you take to winterize your pond in zones 7 and down?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Spell of warm weather gave me a chandler to do some fall cleaning. Got the tropical plants out of the bog and into a temporary housing. I think we are going to build a spot in the basement next to the basement bathroom specifically for this and medicating fish this winter. Also a few fall night shots and a vid of the pond since it's been a while.

Some of the bog.
20181028_193246.jpg

20181028_192752.jpg

20181028_191457.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Picked up some led grow lights for the plants and I will plug in the aquarium air pumps and throw in some aquatic plant food tablets and see what happens. Also did a water test to watch for spikes since I pulled a 3rd of the biological filtration filtration, watercress now makes up the other 2/3's lol.
20181029_180359.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
That will be a nice set up for your plants.

Today we put up the frame that holds the solar cover over our pond and placed the air stones around the pond about 10 inches into the water also the pond breather is in the pond but not plugged in yet. We're having mild temps the next week, so not putting the cover on yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will be a nice set up for your plants.

Today we put up the frame that holds the solar cover over our pond and placed the air stones around the pond about 10 inches into the water also the pond breather is in the pond but not plugged in yet. We're having mild temps the next week, so not putting the cover on yet.

I wish I would have been faster on the pond breather orders.I bought one when they had the huge clearance but because the ran out they cancelled my order and refunded my money. I think I should be okay though between the deicer, the aerator and a small flow pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We put the new solar cover over the pond today, as the temps are expected to drop later this week. Still running filter and waterfall.....they look snug as bugs :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Shut down the pump that fed the bog and installed a Pond Breather. I then covered the small pond with plywood and a tarp with hay inside the tarp. Hope this will work, it is the first year that I have tried to winter the goldfish as the pond is around 18" deep and partly above grade on the hillside.
Usually I just give the fish away for the winter and head to Arizona. They grew so well this year that I will try to keep them for the pond next year with the rebuild.
The weather has been very mild so far this fall but I did the pond just in time as it went down to -10c or 14f last night.
I could not believe how fast it turned cold last night as I was feeding the horses it just plummeted so fast I had to put on some gloves, I seldom wear gloves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
This will be my first winter with the pond so I am inquiring what steps you will take to winterize your pond. Please be specific. I have seen many debates about this and know what works for one will not work for another and every pond is different. So please don't debate each others process. I hope to determine the best process for me to attempt based on what each of you do.
This will be my first winter with the pond so I am inquiring what steps you will take to winterize your pond. Please be specific. I have seen many debates about this and know what works for one will not work for another and every pond is different. So please don't debate each others process. I hope to determine the best process for me to attempt based on what each of you do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We have frost free hose bibs (or anti-siphon sillcocks) - they're designed so they won't freeze.
Just to remind or inform anyone...always disconnect your hose from the outside hose bib in freezing climates. Even if you have the frost free type. If you keep your hose connected, it won't allow the excess water to drain out and you will burst a pipe. How do I know? We'll, one year someone left it connected and when I turned it on in the spring no water came out. I could hear the water flowing inside the finished basement wall!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just to remind or inform anyone...always disconnect your hose from the outside hose bib in freezing climates. Even if you have the frost free type. If you keep your hose connected, it won't allow the excess water to drain out and you will burst a pipe. How do I know? We'll, one year someone left it connected and when I turned it on in the spring no water came out. I could hear the water flowing inside the finished basement wall!

Very good point! And even after you've disconnected them, check again. We had a painter who reconnected not one, but two of our outside hoses while he was here painting - indoors! I guess he was taking his brushes and pans outside to wash them in the yard. I would have expected him to disconnect what he connected, but maybe that's too much to expect!

Ask a Question