11,000 gal. pond put in last summer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Other than a few weeks during the winter by pond stays green. I already have a lot of string algae. My pond does not get much shade. I am questioning if I should use an algaecide. I only have 12 Koi that are about 8 inch so I also wonder if more fish would help to create a better balance. Thanks for any help. I am new to this and would appreciate the input.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If the water itself is green then a uv clarifier of the proper size is the best answer. If it's string or mat algae then a uv light won't help and your only solutions are more shade,more plants and better filtration. Some say that's the only good solution for green water algae but a uv clarifier is the simplest and most sure fire. Only 12 8 inch fish in an 11 thousand gallon pond is certainly NOT your problem. That's not remotely overstocked even if they were full grown,not for water volume alone anyway. How big is your pump and what filtration do you have?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Filtration, or lack of, is not even close to being your problem. An 11,000 gallon pond that houses only 12 8" Koi has more than sufficient surface area to process the total daily Ammonia produced without any supplemental filtration. The fact that you have algae attests to the fact that you have Nitrate which is only produced by bio-conversion (bio-filtration).
My guess is that the culprit here is one of the usual suspects.....overfeeding. Reducing the Nitrate level should be your goal....plants will do this, and keeping the Nitrate level low your secondary goal......a proper feeding regime will accomplish this.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
. The fact that you have algae attests to the fact that you have Nitrate which is only produced by bio-conversion (bio-filtration).
My guess is that the culprit here is one of the usual suspects.....overfeeding. Reducing the Nitrate level should be your goal....plants will do this, and keeping the Nitrate level low your secondary goal......a proper feeding regime will accomplish this.
Not always the case. Nitrates are very often in the water source especially in farm country. Water changes are very effective at reducing nitrates as well.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not always the case. Nitrates are very often in the water source especially in farm country.

True, but this is a limited amount of Nitrate that would be quickly exhausted by any photosynthetic organisms. Algae needs a continuous, on-going source of Nitrate to thrive.

Water changes are very effective at reducing nitrates as well.

Not if the source water has Nitrates as you state.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Pleased to meet you. Many of us old timers believe a pond must 'mature', many new ponds are plagued by string, hair algae. Shade definitely helps, don't get frustrated. I hated my pond when it was choked with that nasty crap.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Other than a few weeks during the winter by pond stays green. I already have a lot of string algae. My pond does not get much shade. I am questioning if I should use an algaecide. I only have 12 Koi that are about 8 inch so I also wonder if more fish would help to create a better balance. Thanks for any help. I am new to this and would appreciate the input.
More information - the water is not actually green with algae (as in an algae bloom ) it has a dark green cast to it. There is string algae starting to grow and alage on the liner. I put my fish in late last summer and they have not been fed so I know its not over feeding. I have a smaller connected pond with lots of plants that flows into the large pond which only has water lillies. My plants are just now starting to green and show growth. I have three seperate filters and skimmers along with a large waterfall. I have good water movement. Maybe I am getting in a hurry and should wait for my plants to take off. I was asking if I should use an algaecide to get on top of the algae or would that throw off the balance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Filtration, or lack of, is not even close to being your problem. An 11,000 gallon pond that houses only 12 8" Koi has more than sufficient surface area to process the total daily Ammonia produced without any supplemental filtration. The fact that you have algae attests to the fact that you have Nitrate which is only produced by bio-conversion (bio-filtration).
Thanks for your help. I put my fish in late last summer and they have not been fed so I know its not overfeeding. I have a smaller connected pond with my plants that flows into the large pond. The large pond only has water lillies in it. Maybe I need to add more plants to both ponds. I have 3 filters with skimmers and a large waterfall so I should have adequate filtration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I cannot imagine an instance where I would recommend the use of an algaecide.

When I asked for more information, I was referring to what results you have from water tests of your existing pond water and source water, existing plant species, water turnover rate, what your geographical location is, ect.
Pictures also really help us with identifying potential problems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

I am not nearly as smart as some of these other guys when it comes to water chemistry and whatnot. But I live in the high desert with 240 sunny days a year. Even plants marked as full sun can struggle with our sun. With that said. I find as long as all other conditions are met.

Pond isn't overstocked with fish
You aren't over feeding
You have what appears to be proper filtration

Than the culprit is normally the sun. The algae isn't an issue to the pond health but if you don't like it try to shade the pond if you can.

I also would not ever consider an algaecide.

Ask a Question