addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
was curious as most recommend keeping it 3' deep at least to avoid freezing, and mine seemed to only freeze down a few inches, granted it was a mild winter...

Our first pond winter, we had over 8 inches of ice on the pond, from early december until march, but it was a cold winter. The deer were walking on the pond, don't think they knew it was water under their feet.

The edge is the wall between the bog and the pond

DSC00990a.jpg

Reaction score
My pond last winter was 18" deep and I had 6 inches of ice at one point, the fish all made it, but that couldn't have felt too good for them. I always felt bad about that.

Reaction score
welcome and good ideas from all... i would add maybe if you did what buck said to then use the one waterfall to feed both ponds and i like addy's idea as well..a small bridge to walk over a small stream before walking up steps would look pretty neat

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I like your pond. Good size and location. I think there were some good comments about moving the rocks (once the 3 yo gets a little older) and plants especially perennials and some ground cover. I love how much bigger they get and much less maintenance.

Here is my pond in the late winter with all the plants dormant or just walking up.

DSCN1781.jpg

And here it is with the ground cover and perennials grown in.

DSCN2576.jpg

I am surprised to hear about this serious rock washing going on. I got all mine from the desert (red, white, purple and black rocks) hosed em off and put them around the pond.

Ask a Question