2 fish dead/dying same symptoms

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
@Dave 54 Why if I am seeing so many symptoms of septicemia is it the furthest thing from your mind? (Not trying to be a smartass, I really want to know why you don't think it is even the slightest bit possible, cause I would like to think this too! :( )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You need medicated food or you need to start injecting them with antibiotics. You're at that stage now.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No, never even heard of that one before. Quick search says only way to diagnose is with a scraping, ugh. Treatment is salt (first), I tried salt with the other one but I'm willing to try it again. Is that what you recommend?

EDIT: I am looking at microscopes. Something like this would be adequate right? http://www.amscope.com/40x-1000x-bi...roscope.html?gclid=CPTDwZmGzM0CFQUmhgodujEPFw

Anything that I contribute without being able to examine the fish first hand is pure conjecture.
That looks like a pretty decent scope. Certainly inexpensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You need medicated food or you need to start injecting them with antibiotics. You're at that stage now.
I've been feeding medicated food for 12 days. I wouldn't even know where to start with injecting antibiotics.

Anything that I contribute without being able to examine the fish first hand is pure conjecture.
This type of answer is dizzying to me. We all know from the start that we can not examine anything first hand while responding on forums. And without knowing all the details it is understandably impossible to give a 100% accurate diagnosis. And everyone asks for a TON of details, which I think I provide as many as possible and understand those details are needed to make an educated guess. But this fish is going to die if I don't take SOME sort of action so I come here to get advice on what to do from other more experienced people and that experience just tells me there is nothing you can tell me without personally examining it? :confused: Leaves me more frustrated than I started because other more experienced/intelligent people's educated guess on what action to take would be far better than my own wild stab in the dark. And you are obviously intelligent because you don't spew out recycled non-sense making you exactly the person I want to give me an educated guess but you're too wise to throw out you're own stab in the dark. Uhh, the irony!

Thanks for the feedback on the scope though. :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been feeding medicated food for 12 days. I wouldn't even know where to start with injecting antibiotics.

This type of answer is dizzying to me. We all know from the start that we can not examine anything first hand while responding on forums. And without knowing all the details it is understandably impossible to give a 100% accurate diagnosis. And everyone asks for a TON of details, which I think I provide as many as possible and understand those details are needed to make an educated guess. But this fish is going to die if I don't take SOME sort of action so I come here to get advice on what to do from other more experienced people and that experience just tells me there is nothing you can tell me without personally examining it? :confused: Leaves me more frustrated than I started because other more experienced/intelligent people's educated guess on what action to take would be far better than my own wild stab in the dark. And you are obviously intelligent because you don't spew out recycled non-sense making you exactly the person I want to give me an educated guess but you're too wise to throw out you're own stab in the dark. Uhh, the irony!

Thanks for the feedback on the scope though. :)

Sorry, didn't mean to upset you.
I did give you my educated guess.....Costia. I do not, however, feel comfortable going any further than that.
So many of the various diseases of fish have very similar symptoms and photographs are never a substitute for eyes-on inspection.
If you have tried salt and it has not worked and you have not seen any improvement from administering medicated food, then it could be that you have either a very stubborn parasite, like Costia, or your fish have a viral infection for which there is no treatment.
I can offer no more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Will show you how to inject the antibiotics. You have to get them though. This is assuming the infection is bacterial and is covered by this broad spectrum antibiotic.

What medicated food are you feeding (i.e. the antibiotic in it)?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear your fish died. :( Some times freak things happen, like once a tree branch fell hard in pond and injured a few fish. Then one time a rock slipped and fell into pond and that injured this one fish so bad I thought for sure he was going to die. But I left him in pond cause I alway think moving fish at that point would only stress him out more and kill him off quicker. My poor fishy was pretty beat up from rock accident. So I always use Liquid Concentrate Pond Peat, as that is all natural and prevents fungus, as fish injuries can lead to the deadly fungus growing on wounds. I use it right in the pond as it is very good fot whole pond and also can prevent fish eggs from turning to fungus. The liquid pond peat will also shade the water a dark color for a few hours as well... Depending on how much liquid pond peat you use and how much water filtration you have ..... Could last a few days as well.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sorry I see now you lost a few fish. Hard to know for sure what happened. One other thing I should mention, about 25 years ago when I first started out with ponds and goldish, I had this one small hundred gallon fish pond that was just perfect for growing plants. Had lush green water plants everywhere, and good pump that I had going to a upper water feature, that dropped the water back down into pond and I thought that was lots... But never ever could keep fish alive in that pond no how!
So one day when I had my hand in that fishless pond, I noticed that water was warm, like warm enough like a hot tub! So then it all sunk in, the water was just way too warm... Goldfish and koi always do better in cool water. So then I removed half the floating plants and hooked up an additional "spitter" and now fish are fine in that little pond... Which I am still using today but since moved it to front yard.
Not sure if your water is too warm, but you might want to check temperture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sorry, didn't mean to upset you.
I did give you my educated guess.....Costia. I do not, however, feel comfortable going any further than that.
So many of the various diseases of fish have very similar symptoms and photographs are never a substitute for eyes-on inspection.
If you have tried salt and it has not worked and you have not seen any improvement from administering medicated food, then it could be that you have either a very stubborn parasite, like Costia, or your fish have a viral infection for which there is no treatment.
I can offer no more.
Thank you for elaborating, I appreciate it!

What medicated food are you feeding (i.e. the antibiotic in it)?
Microbe-Lift Legacy Koi & Goldfish Anti- Bacterial food, active medication is Romet. If an anti-bacterial food seems to have no effect isn't it usually because whatever is ailing the fish is not bacterial?

Sorry I see now you lost a few fish. Hard to know for sure what happened. One other thing I should mention, about 25 years ago when I first started out with ponds and goldish, I had this one small hundred gallon fish pond that was just perfect for growing plants. Had lush green water plants everywhere, and good pump that I had going to a upper water feature, that dropped the water back down into pond and I thought that was lots... But never ever could keep fish alive in that pond no how!
So one day when I had my hand in that fishless pond, I noticed that water was warm, like warm enough like a hot tub! So then it all sunk in, the water was just way too warm... Goldfish and koi always do better in cool water. So then I removed half the floating plants and hooked up an additional "spitter" and now fish are fine in that little pond... Which I am still using today but since moved it to front yard.
Not sure if your water is too warm, but you might want to check temperture.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. The water has not gone above 73F.

I found a vet who will do a scraping for me but he was closed today. If this affected fish dies before tomorrow there isn't much point in getting the dead fish scraped cause most parasites leave the host after death right? Should I bring one of the other fish in even though they aren't showing signs yet? Seems that might just cause unneeded stress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Ok, I know nothing about fish, their diseases, or why they die. But I bought 10 goldfish, and 9 died in 2 days. Not because my pond was bad, or my PH was off, or it was a bad temp, but just because the supplier was a "fish mill breeder." Now Im not suggesting you got your fish from a bad supplier, but maybe you did? Its just a thought. If you mentioned your fish came from a good supplier and I missed it, then I apologize.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thank you for elaborating, I appreciate it!

Microbe-Lift Legacy Koi & Goldfish Anti- Bacterial food, active medication is Romet. If an anti-bacterial food seems to have no effect isn't it usually because whatever is ailing the fish is not bacterial?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. The water has not gone above 73F.

I found a vet who will do a scraping for me but he was closed today. If this affected fish dies before tomorrow there isn't much point in getting the dead fish scraped cause most parasites leave the host after death right? Should I bring one of the other fish in even though they aren't showing signs yet? Seems that might just cause unneeded stress.

Romet is sulfadinmethoxine and ormetoprin. That's a good antibiotic as long as the fish didn't develop a resistant strain from applying it in the past, like MRSA and as long as the fish eat good quantities of it (it's weak in strength despite the good coverage). You can safely say that they dont have a typical bacterial infection. You're gonna need a vet if you want to save the fish (which Im not sure you should). The vet would need to scrap and look and inject the correct antibacterial or antifungal. (I have blinding injected without scrapping in the past and it worked when the medicated food didnt work but at this point I doubt you can get a hold of anything you can inject in time). It's cheaper to let the fish go and get another......from a different supplier this time.

Ask a Question