Bagspond update for July -- a dead fish :(

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by bagsmom, Jul 11, 2017.

1. bagsmom

bagsmom

We were away for a day and I came home to a dead fish. Sad. Everyone else seems fantastic. Perky and crazy as ever. I've been feeding them only a tiny bit, once a day (if that) to keep them social. I've enjoyed watching them tear at the algae on the rocks. Everyone has a great appetite!

Sad dead fish had no fin or body damage. He had been dead long enough for his eyes to get cloudy. The only thing I noticed was redness showing through the gill area -- but his body is white -- so maybe that is normal?

I tested pH -- consistent at 8, like it's always been. No ammonia. The waterfall is flowing great and I cleaned out the skimmer and filter pad (as I do every week,) so everything is flowing nicely. The pond is deep enough to get away from the heat and actually feels coolish to my hand. No crazy weather changes or anything. No chemical usage in my yard or neighbor's.

I did add a little water before we left town, but only enough to raise the pond level about a half an inch.

Let's all cross our fingers that it was just a weird thing. I hope everyone else is as healthy as they seem!

bagsmom, Jul 11, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. bagsmom

bagsmom

It was one of my big fish. (Big being relative. He was about 7" long.) As I said, the water stays fairly cool, since the pond is shaded most of the day and never in full sun very long. There's quite a good flow of water with the waterfall, and I haven't seen anyone gasping. Do I remember you all saying early morning is when oxygen levels are lowest? I can go out tomorrow and have a look. I hope no one else bites the dust!

bagsmom, Jul 11, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. bagsmom

Lisak1

Sorry to hear that @bagsmom ! Sometimes we can figure out what happened, and sometimes they just die. Let's hope it was just the one and everyone else is fine!

Lisak1, Jul 12, 2017
    Tula, bagsmom and Meyer Jordan like this.
  4. bagsmom

Tula

So sorry about your fish. Fingers crossed everyone else stays fine :)

Tula, Jul 12, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  5. bagsmom

Gordo33

Sorry to hear you lost a fish. Hope the rest are doing good

Gordo33, Jul 12, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  6. bagsmom

bagsmom

I don't want to jinx anything, but so far so good. They are all making their circuits of the pond as usual.

bagsmom, Jul 12, 2017
    Tula and Gordo33 like this.
  7. bagsmom

Gemma

Sorry you lost a fish!:(

Gemma, Jul 12, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  8. bagsmom

bagsmom

I don't know if it will improve oxygenation, but I moved a few rocks. I had placed some rocks to calm down the white water from the waterfall a while back. I moved them away this morning to let the current really flow. I don't know if that oxygenates the water or not, but the fish might enjoy the change!

bagsmom, Jul 12, 2017
    Nyboy and Tula like this.
  9. bagsmom

bagsmom

I just went outside and I do think the fish are having a good time body surfing in the rapids! They do their weird little Follow the Leader course -- check for stuff to eat/do in the shallows; proceed to the skimmer -- everyone in, then everyone out. (It's new and exciting every time); go around to the edge of the deep side -- see what's happening there; get under the waterfall spill and BODY SURF!!!!! Repeat, repeat, repeat! :)

bagsmom, Jul 12, 2017
    tbendl and Tula like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question