Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I found them floating in the pond this morning, last saw them yesterday evening. Very errie sight to wake up to. I have no idea why they died. I'm wondering if the water got too cold overnight. It's hard to believe that when it's still September (I hate the cold!!!). None of the fish seemed too interested in their food yesterday. And this morning they're all hanging out on the bottom, not really moving around too much. Maybe because their bodies are trying to conserve energy? Possibly unrelated, but I think I spotted a big frog in my pond this morning as well! It was only for a split second before it jumped away. So maybe the fish are hiding from that. The dead fish had nothing wrong with them on the outside, so I don't think they were attacked or anything. If it is the cold, that means I need to get a water heater, which won't come right away. Hopefully there isn't a mass extinction before then.

What do you think could have caused the death of my fish?

Sorry to hear about your fish dying. I kinda understand what you are dealing with because I lost Alpha who was a betta of mine. He died just a couple days ago and I had him for a pretty long time (around 3 years) Hope you figure out what went wrong and that it never happens again. Good luck!

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are these the only fish in the pond or were these added to an existing population? If so, how many fish, total, are in the pond and what is the capacity of the pond in gallons?

No. We had 8 fish total, so now we have 6. We got 3 at first and then a week later, we got 5 more. the pond is small...i think approx. 300 gallons. i know it's too many fish for a small pond, but i wasn't there when they went to buy more fish. if the source of their deaths was overpopulation, what exactly caused it? they had plenty of food and were growing very well.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Are you using test strips or liquid tests to test the water quality parameters? With that many fish in 300 gallons some level of Nitrate would be expected. A zero reading is very improbable and unlikely.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you using test strips or liquid tests to test the water quality parameters? With that many fish in 300 gallons some level of Nitrate would be expected. A zero reading is very improbable and unlikely.

I'm using the API Pondcare Master Liquid Test Kit. My pond might be more than 300 gallons? i'm honestly not sure.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MK3 I'm guessing that these new fish, when added, didn't go through a quarantine period prior to going into the pond. Quarantine is something we advocate for all new additions. It gives you a chance to observe the new fish for any parasites or diseases before you mix them with your old fish. I won't go into detail here (the barn door's already been closed, in this situation), but when you're ready.......

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
@MK3 I'm guessing that these new fish, when added, didn't go through a quarantine period prior to going into the pond. Quarantine is something we advocate for all new additions. It gives you a chance to observe the new fish for any parasites or diseases before you mix them with your old fish. I won't go into detail here (the barn door's already been closed, in this situation), but when you're ready.......
yes, someone mentioned it when i got the fish. we built the pond in june, got the fish in late july/early august. the first 3 fish were added a week before the next 5 fish. the two that died came from the second group. anyway, i don't think quarantining the fish was necessary since all the fish were new. plus the first sign that something was wrong came this morning, which is past the time i'd quarantine them for.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
yes, someone mentioned it when i got the fish. we built the pond in june, got the fish in late july/early august. the first 3 fish were added a week before the next 5 fish. the two that died came from the second group. anyway, i don't think quarantining the fish was necessary since all the fish were new. plus the first sign that something was wrong came this morning, which is past the time i'd quarantine them for.
Just wanted to bring it up.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The zero Nitrate level is most troubling.
Pond not cycled yet? Or old test kit?

I've never had a + nitrate reading in the pond, but have in the QT and in my 20 gal. tank. Even when it was cycling, there was a barely perceptible ammonia and nitrite rise, though not followed by nitrate -- unless I just happened to miss it. I've always assumed it was low fish load and plants......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
i tested this past weekend. pH probably a little under 8. Ammonia, 0. Nitrite, 0. Nitrate, 0.
Whether you tested today or yesterday or last weekend even is irrelivant we require up to date levels of Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Phos.
To give us an overall picture of what is happening at that time.
Ph probably a little under 8 is niether here nor there is it it could mean any of these readings [7, 7.5 , 8.0, 8.5] we have to know the complete picture .

Dave

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have good news.

Another fish died.

And one fish was near death. It was in a shallow corner of the pond on its side, but gulping. So I moved it to the bottom of the pond.

The other fish were at the bottom of the pond not moving much at all.

My sister thinks it might be low oxygen levels because that's when you see fish at the surface of the pond gulping for oxygen and fish not moving or getting food. I moved the aerator to the the center bottom of the pond since it was on the side before. Hopefully that will help. I'm not sure what else to do.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Make that two fish. And this fish looks like its been dead for at least a day.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
One keeps coming up to the surface and gulping for air and i keep moving it back to the aerator. I don't know what to do. Should I just let them die? Should I move them to another container?

Ask a Question