Country
United States
Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond) 0
* Nitrite Level (pond) 0
* Ammonia Level (tap water) we use well water
* Nitrite Level (tap water)
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine) 7.8 yesterday
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit

Other useful information:
* Water temperature? don't know
* Pond size and how long has it been running? approx 300 gallons. running since june
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)? beckett pump...i think for 400 gallons at least
* How often do you change the water and how much? we last changed over half the water maybe 3 weeks ago
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type? 8 goldfish to start. 4 or 3 as of now.
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used? none
* What do you feed your fish and how often? tetra sticks variety once-twice a day.
* Any new fish added to the pond recently? no. all the fish came within a week of each other at the end of july/start of august.
* Any medications added to the pond? no
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish? no
* Any unusual behaviour like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? staying at the bottom, not eating, not moving, coming to surface and gulping, dying.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Taken just now:
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks for answering the questions and posting the picture.

Are the goldfish you bought sold as feeder fish?
You listed a beckett pump, but is it a filter or just a pump that is circulating the water?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for answering the questions and posting the picture.

Are the goldfish you bought sold as feeder fish?
You listed a beckett pump, but is it a filter or just a pump that is circulating the water?

There is a filter

They were not feeder fish. The three that I bought where a few dollars each. The 5 that my sister bought were 35 cents each but not feeder fish. I'm pretty sure that 3 that died came from that group and 1 from mine. We have 1 comet and 3 shubunkins left but I can't find one of the shubunkins.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Should I move them to a different container of fresh water with the aerator in it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Your pond setup looks good to me, it doesn't look like surface runoff can enter the pond from the lawn, but on the pavers that are closest to you when you took the picture, is that a walkway where runoff could enter the pond?
The price of $.35 tells me that they may have been feeder fish, but may have been labeled as something else.

There's no reason to move them to another container at this point because we haven't identified that there's anything wrong with the main pond water.

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your pond setup looks good to me, it doesn't look like surface runoff can enter the pond from the lawn, but on the pavers that are closest to you when you took the picture, is that a walkway where runoff could enter the pond?
The price of $.35 tells me that they may have been feeder fish, but may have been labeled as something else.

There's no reason to move them to another container at this point because we haven't identified that there's anything wrong with the main pond water.

I don't think there's much to run off into the the pond
image.jpg

(I know the porch is a mess)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The water level looks to be about even with the walkway. Is there any chance that there could be some chemicals in the walkway substrate and have you had any rain in the last month or so?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
The water level looks to be about even with the walkway. Is there any chance that there could be some chemicals in the walkway substrate and have you had any rain in the last month or so?
I have no idea. It rained a few days ago

Ask a Question