20 Gallon Skippy

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think we should call it "Just what the Doctor ordered Filter". LOL
Do not aerate the water in the filter. You want gravity to cause all the solid particles and algae to fall into the sump of it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the size of your filter would warrant any need for additional oxygen, 16 gallons, at even 30 gallons an hour flow would not deplete the dissolved oxygen levels enough to harm your aerobic bacteria, or encourage the growth of anaerobic bacteria.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Well that is what I have been looking into a little bit more as of late. Right now I am using a dual speed pool pump because I have it and can't really get another just yet. It has a high speed that runs a 3/4 horse power at 8.7 amps, that I timed at about 3500 GPH. I found that that was just way to much water however the slower speed produces the right amount of water I want for my falls. It is 1/10 horse power and runs at 2.8 amps, never timed out the water flow. I am wondering however if I am pushing water through my filter to fast. I have a 1.5" pipe into the pump and out but I split the 1.5" pipe to a 1.25" going straight to the falls and a 1" pipe going to the filter. I am wondering if I should divert some of the water from the 1" line to the falls before it enters the filter to slow the water passing through the filter down.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't use any aeration going into my bio filter and I don't know anyone who does. Mine works fine and all my Koi are very healthy.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
In general, no 2 Bio filters are alike. So that is like saying how fast is safe to drive through your neighborhood?

If you use the so called "skippy" filter, it is a short oval shaped feed and watering vessel that has scrubbie like material in it and water passes through at a given rate.

The 55 gallon bio filters, I am going to call, from now on the "Doc Filters", They are 55 gallon drums with cut irrigation tubes, packing straps, or turned PVC and the water goes through slower because of the long climb to the top.

That said, it depends on whether you are using the Skippy or Doc method.

The Doc method depends on gravity to settle out the solids and they are trapped in the sump. So the water must travel at a rate fast enough for the volume of pond to get cycled yet not so fast that the gravity effect fails to work for you.

When I examine the water coming out of my overflow, it looks like bottled water. That tells me I am not pushing it through too fast since my pond is also clear.

As for the anerobic bacteria, if you have enough bio material, be it the Skippy or Doc type media, it will do it's job.

Remember, the clarity of the water is not due to the bacteria, but to the gravity. That is why I feel the 55 gallon drum is the best bio filter out there.

So the answer lies in trial and error. If I were you, I might start with 350GPH if your pond is small, or larger if it is over 1000 gallons.

I use a Beckett W1150 in my 1400 gallon pond and it works flawlessly. You can get these at any Home Depot.

Hope this helps. Remember skippy is a particular method using sponges, so the name does not apply to all bio filters.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
also remember clear water isnt necessarily quality water, the water has to spend adequate time in filtration to allow your aerobic bacteria to do its job. and that varies with bioload.a skippy filter also uses plastic media in it, anyone who uses sponges in it is using the wrong media and would likely use it in a drum filter too! i dont know where that sponge idea comes from, we strongly advise against it. your filter is low profile but round..this means a slower flow would help keep the crud from traveling up the container too far.. the stocktank is oval and allows the crud to slow and settle before getting up into the media. so its not a concern for me....good luck!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You find scrubbies in the sponge section of any store. :bowdown: Most people call them sponges even though as you pointed out they are not. People still call copy machines Zerox machines even though 99% are no longer made by Zerox.:icon_mrgreen:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
so by that logic s.o.s steel wool pads are clasified as sponges, so are stainless steel scrubbies ..because theyre in the same aisle... has anyone but you referred to them as sponges on this forum? not that ive seen..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Are you here to add value to the Forum or arguement? We are supposed to be helping people, not worrying about symantics.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i am here to help.. but calling them sponges is misleading.. sponges fill with water and sink. the plastic scouring pads (scrubbies is a brand name) remain bouiant and water passes thru. what if someonbe reads sponges and builds their filter with sponges, then wonders why anyone uses this filter because it clogs and needs cleaning so often its not worth it. just asking you to call them what they are!! i know and you know not to use sponge but a newby may not thats all im saying. subject closed..i wont say anything else about it. didnt mean to upset anyone.

Ask a Question