20 Gallon Skippy

Reaction score
yes its called a wet dry sump or refugium. a set up that goes under ur tank and water fed in by gravity through the madia tower and the over and under some baffels then the setteling section and over another baffel and back to the tank

View attachment 1029

Attachments

• wetdry_overview.gif
    wetdry_overview.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 330

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Well back to my question, I have a type of skippy filter. I got the design from Skippy's Beauitiful Ponds and Gardens Website. It was referred to as the "Mini-Me Skip Jr. Biological Filter". I did add a "Dump Valve" to the design but other then that It is the same. I am using industrial square buff sanding pads cut to 4"x3"x1" in size as my media (a plastic scouring pad on a big scale). I was wondering if anyone had a good idea about how long the water should be in contact with the beneficial bacteria to be effective (roughly). The solids are settling out fine as far as I can tell (water is coming out very clear). I was just wondering if I should be slowing it down further or id it is fine. I am going to figure out how fast the water is passing through the filter and give that information soon.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How would you like the flow rate to be expressed? If the water is coming out clear and the bio is established, having 0 readings on nitrates and nitrites means your flow is ok. There is no perfect way to express it that you can measure. If you do have a method, please share it with us.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Well the Nitrite level is 0 now so I will have to watch it as I add fish. Sorry that I keep asking but I have a bit of a analytical mind and don't always feel comfortable with trial and error. I will give it a go. I do appreciate the feedback.

Ask a Question