addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting. No waste on the bottom of the pond? No algae in the bog? How big is the pond? Is it deep?
I have some pea gravel, some kitty litter a bit of dirt on the bottom. My pond goes from 1.5 feet to 5.5 feet deep. I have a very basic bog, pea gravel, plants and pvc pipes. My pump is external, my intake is from a pvc pipe with a 5 gallon bucket covering the end drilled full of 1/4 inch holes. I draw water from about a foot off the bottom.

I do not get a ton of algae in the pond, there is always a bit of algae, but no string algae The small ponds, fed dirty water from the big pond do get string, slow flow, warm I leave it the critters love it.

This is a picture right after I did spring turn on. the bucket is to the right. Hornwort on the bottom You can see the bottom of the pond right below the fish.
Screenshot_20210313-174924.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Addy1 I love it! Nothing fancy but it works. I love the underwater camera- so cool. I guess I’ve been reading to many posts and had over complicated what I need. Fabulous. I will have to have a skimmer because it will be under a pepper tree that drops stuff once a year. Am thinking about a 3 way valve so I can switch back and forth.

Do you add aeration?

Reaction score
Country
United States
you don't need bottom drains. You can, of course, and you'd pump the water from there to a manifold beneath the bog media. Same with submersibles, just no bottom drain. I have 2 pumps (no bottom drain), each going to a waterfall and each Ying off to a bog inlet. You should have your pumps up off the bottom (if going with submersibles) as this sends a lot less 'solids' to your bog. A bog type filter isn't a mechanical filter, it's a biological one, though it will traps solids. Hence why you lift the pump off the bottom. And no, no leaf basket; that's what a skimmer/intake bay is for. A bog is about the least maintenance you'll ever have re filtration.

You'll find with a balanced pond, you'll get the 'nothing on the bottom' ponds like @addy1 and myself have. It's only when you're out of balance that bad stuff happens. A bog, lots of plants, aeration/water movement, appropriate bioload for your level of filtration, and don't overfeed; that's how you have success.
Great. Thank you for your patience while I try to understand this. I think it’s so easy I over complicated it. That sure does make this more affordable and easier to build. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There are basically two types of bog filters. One with aqua blox, snorkel and centipede. Then the much simpler pvc manifold type. It's up to you which type you want to go with.

Mine is the simpler type, based on addy's build. Her's has been running for over 10 years without any problems. That was good enough for me.

My water has never been this clear since adding on the bog. The bog is now my only filter.
I previously had two pressure filters and a UV light running that were inadequate for my fish load.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Taralynna ! You've gotten so much great advice - I'll just add my "welcome" and we look forward to seeing what you come up with! Take lots of pictures - you'll be glad you did!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jhn how's the addition coming along ? I myself am sold on the bog as well, the water was so clear in the fall that even after being shut down for 4 months the water was still clear not crystal but it wouldn't be called murkey either. Started the pump up this past weekend and even without the plants in bloom little more then a mass of roots actually water was crystal in a few hours

It’s coming, will probably be ready for the last part seam liners together after tomorrow, it should be rocked in and done with the bog by the end of day Saturday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It’s coming, will probably be ready for the last part seam liners together after tomorrow, it should be rocked in and done with the bog by the end of day Saturday.
...and where are the DAYUM progress pictures?????

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy1 I love it! Nothing fancy but it works. I love the underwater camera- so cool. I guess I’ve been reading to many posts and had over complicated what I need. Fabulous. I will have to have a skimmer because it will be under a pepper tree that drops stuff once a year. Am thinking about a 3 way valve so I can switch back and forth.

Do you add aeration?

I like simple and built mine long time ago before a lot of people liked bogs for pond filtration. It works great, a nice no care pond, except yanking growing plants.

no I don't add aeration, I have the bog waterfall and a waterfall from another small pond back into the big pond.

I have a skimmer, used to have a big maple that dropped a ton of spinners and two old apple trees, flowers. The maple died, the apples we cut way back. It does not draw debis as much now, but it is at the other end of the pond from the pump so adds circulation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm sure someone mentioned this already, but did you see Addy1's long and detailed bog-building thread in the pond construction section? It is very helpful!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm sure someone mentioned this already, but did you see Addy1's long and detailed bog-building thread in the pond construction section? It is very helpful!
here it is with a lot of input by others

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I have trees near my pond and goldfish. No bottom drain, but there are no rocks/gravel on the liner bottom or sides. I only have a rock ring. Algea covers the liner and it looks very natural. I use a pond net to clean off the bottom of the pond. ESPECIALLY with a tree near by I would try to set up the pond so you can easily clean the bottom with a net. Just my $0.02

Ask a Question