New to forum, creating 2nd pond

Reaction score
Hello Pond People!
So excited that I found you, because I need serious help!

Last time I build my pond, using a small and a large pre-formed pond, it was a piece of cake, I just built up a wall around a semi-dug circle, and the pond was in. Easy, and I loved it!

Now, we have moved, but the preform didn't survive the winter. I have just purchased a new (used) setup that I am ready to install, but boy-oh-boy do I need help!

Our house has a walkout basement, but, it looks like they used an excavator to dig out the walkout basement area. Pics attached.
When we moved in, all i could think was "this is going to be an amazing patio, surrounded by banks of plants.
Well, SHOOT, its all clay and I'm having a heck of a time doing anything.

That being said, here is another photo of the steps I put in so Id quit sliding down the hill...it sort of shows you how steep the hill is.

I also attached a pic of the new pond(s). This is how the old owner had it set up, but of course that was on a flat surface they built up.

I am just at a loss on how to do this, and I need some creative help. Ive been googling "ponds on hill" for days and not getting much.

HELP! :)

I have two 'large' ponds. The "bone" shaped one is the smaller of the two, and it has to go on the bottom, because the larger one has the 'lip' to waterfall into the Bone. Above the larger pond will be a very small one (what? 20gals?) that flows into the large. Above the small pond is a waterfall feature.

My biggest concern is this embankment. How do I even start? Should I start with diggin the hole for the very bottom pond? or start at the top with the waterfall?

Do you believe I will need a 'retaining wall' of sorts at the top to hold up around it?

I have TONS of rocks, smalls to larges that I can build around it, but I fear this clay will just run right downhill somewhere into the pond.

Please, ask away, if I didnt cover something clearly. Its going to be nice outside this week (other than rain) so Im READY!

And, the 8 fish that are sharing a 49gallon tank in the basement are very ready to go outside!

-Thanks
Jamie

Attachments

• Bowl from above.jpg
    Bowl from above.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Bowl w steps.jpg
    Bowl w steps.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 275
  • New Pond.jpg
    New Pond.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 245

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
retaining wall block will work .My upper part of my pond is below grade

Attachments

• splendors gate a pond may2014 007.JPG
    splendors gate a pond may2014 007.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 241
  • splendors gate a pond may2014 009.JPG
    splendors gate a pond may2014 009.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 228

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Jamie
Sorry I can't be of much help on the preform installation as I have only had the dig a hole and put a liner in pond type w/ no retaining walls. Others here have them and can be of help I'm sure :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put concrete block on the high part the 2 layers of retaining wall block .I have a sidewalk I built when I put the first pond in and something chewed through my liner and replaced it in march and made pond bigger

Attachments

• new pond 006.JPG
    new pond 006.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 230
  • new pond 020.JPG
    new pond 020.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 293
  • new pond 025.JPG
    new pond 025.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 238

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you put your pond in front of the deck or up on the hill .if it is clay it will be stable.But you could not put your pond in the low spot all the fertilizer and stuff would get washed into the pond if it was not retained in and built up like your other pond

Reaction score
Hi Sissy, Nope. I cant put it on the top of the hill. Well, I suppose technically I could, but really don't want to :)
You're assuming we fertilize! lol! hahaha I have chickens, dogs and sheep. All of which eat the grass. No fertilizer here :)

But, even if its not fertilizer, I agree, Im afraid 'stuff' will run right down to it.

The bottom "bone" shaped pond will be about 6-8" above ground, as that will eventually be patio, and I have to add a LOT of sand to level it off.

I have plenty of retaining wall blocks to be used, and I have to assume I am going to need more to support the ground behind and around the ponds.

HOPE for more info from any folks who have history of these pre made forms in hilly areas.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But remember poo is a fertilize that is why the Chesapeake Bay is having the problems it is having .I can understand you want it near the deck as I have mine very close to my front porch for the same reason .I had a preformed ,my first pond .Was built on a slope in a retaining wall .I have a garden there now .Last pic is where the preformed pond used to be

Attachments

• murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 224
  • splendors gate 014.JPG
    splendors gate 014.JPG
    344.6 KB · Views: 241
Reaction score
EWE!! :)
Our entire deck is 2nd story and 3 tiers, so cant put it anywhere near the deck, thats why I want it at the "future" patio area. AND, its the only part of the yard that gets partial shade. Everything else out here bakes in the sun :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
but at least you can look down on it if you want to and hear it also

Reaction score
Yes, if I get to put it where I want, we can see and hear it from the upper deck, and if the patio ever gets done, it will be lovely to sit and watch the fishies :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My whole build is on a steep slope. Take a look (click on link in signature) I showed some of the ways I dwelt with the slope. To control water flowing into the ponds and stream I back sloped the upper edge by just a few inches. Also had to dig in the upper edge of the pond by 4 feet or so and add a dirt berm of 6-8 feet to the bottom edge to build it up to level. Still holding well 4 years later. We are clay and shale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Our backyard has a grade away from the house, and we used that to build in a series of three smaller ponds (the lowest is a preform) that waterfall together. I often wished that the grade went the OTHER way just so it would have been easier to make the waterfalls better viewable from the patio, despite what that may had done to drainage around the house (us ponders are crazy like that ;-))

2013-08-26 19.02.10.jpg
2013-08-26 19.03.01.jpg
2013-08-26 19.03.28.jpg

With the preform, you can see that we built up the back wall with rocks to try and keep it level across (although its definitely not perfect). Having installed both the preform and the EPDM liner, I will say that the installation of the liner was MUCH more forgiving, and when we expand the lower pond, we will be going with a liner there as well.

I can see you using the hill to your advantage, but with the three preform pieces, it will be a challenge.

If it were me, I would first dig out the lowest pond, use that dirt to create a base for the middle pond, and then situate the waterfall at the top of the hill going into the base (it will be tricky to measure out and get right, and you may need some liner pieces to help with the connections and minimize water loss. Then cover all exposed dirt and edges with rocks to make it look more natural. Try and situate the setup so runoff won't be much of an issue (if possible), and hide any gaps that leaves with more rocks.

We have clay too, and did all our digging by hand. Which is partially why we ended up raising the edges as much as we did for the bog and middle pond... got sick of digging, lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can rent those little mini diggers and if you rent them on saturday the rental places are usually closed on sunday so you get a somewhat free day .Blue sky here even delivers you rental at no charge and shows you how to use it .

Ask a Question