sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
HTH said:
If you have any of the larger #7 plastic canvas or #5 latch hook base you can build input screens for the pump. My wife makes these for me, :)

This is based on a 2 inch PVC pipe. Ones sized to fine your pond and pump would be smaller Each takes 3 plastic canvas circles. Use synthetic yarn to keep it from rotting.
As you can see the pipe does not come to the end so you need to make it friction fit the plastic canvas. You could also big holes in the pipe and let it touch the plastic canvas. Both work The more surface area they have the slower the water enters the mesh and the less apt it is to plug up.

strainer2.jpg

strainer1.jpg
hth you are keeping to many secrets ,come clean what other ideas you have

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all, welcome! You have a lot of potential for your small pond. I like the idea of the small (dwarf) lilly, too. And as far as size, I ended up making a larger pond than I first planned, 'cause doing research realized that a lot of water is easier to care for, and much more forgiving than a smaller amt. of water. Of course, the initial cost is more, but pays for itself in enjoyment!

Stick around here and you're bound to get hooked [sorry fishies, I didn't mean anything by that...] and you'll be amazed at what you'll learn!

HTH, is that a pre-filter thingy? Cool idea! I have lots of canvas mesh I get from Hobby Lobby. The sheets come with different size holes (# 5 & # 7 are the 2 sizes I use most). I think the #7 is the larger hole. In fact, that's the same stuff I pieced together to lay over the false-bottom of the box turtle pond. I used fishing line and zip ties to connect the pieces.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I do want to say that finding friends here has been a boon as I live in a pond wilderness. Finding ones that have interest in DIY ponding is even better.

I really have to give the credit to my better half here. The plastic canvas numbers are like for sand paper. The bigger the number the smaller the grit or holes in this case. It is actually holes per inch. She is now telling me the #5 is latch hook rug base. They are mesh numbers.

The original purpose of the screens was to keep fish and fry from moving to the next tank in my lift setup. It is simply a set of containers where tall ones overflow into lower ones. The last has a pump to the filter which feeds the tallest ones.

They worked well so I fitted one to the in put side of the RIO 2500. It worked :) I used to use Tetra-G pond sponges on my pump inputs, the 2000gph pond master on the formal pond had 4 or 5 of them on a manifold, but tetra stopped making them. It was a sad day. But these are nicer in that they pass most everything through the pump and to the filter where it can be flushed. No daily sponge cleaning. Should not wear out anytime soon.

The one small down side is UV from the sun makes plastic canvas brittle to the point where it shatters. The first thing she made for me was a strainer for the top hat on the down/up flow barrel filter. To make the strainers last they need to have something opaque to shield them from the sun. We fill the top hat with hyacinth which do some filtering too. The ones here are sickly as it is late fall. The thing looks nice in season.

barrelTop.jpg

Am I hiding anything? Not intentionally. Keep in mind that some of what I do is unconventional and it is not always well received. Some is junk. Some unfinished and ....

Ask a Question