55 gallon drums...where?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
A few of us use the Intex Snapset pools. They do not need air as they are held up by water pressure. A little different to setup but not bad and no air leaks. Wallmart carries them but I fear they are seasonal.

I am keeping my out for cheap barrels for the past few years. No luck locally.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use snapset pools as well... i've been using them as koi hatchery / nursery ponds for years. but they're not much for building filters... lol.. i use a pvc frame on mine. makes the walls much sturdier.

Reaction score
Are you talking about ? Does it come with three kinds and the lady?! We already have a daughter-in-law and our two Grand-daughters living with us! We don't have much room left!!! :LOL:

ScreenSnapz001.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Check with the big truck washes near the interstate highways (if you have one close by). I used to get barrels from them, and is the only source I've ever found for black barrels. Unfortunately they also started recycling a number of years ago, but your results may vary.

Also try craigslist? It was through them that I found a recycler in my town who sells food-grade containers of all sizes. The last one I picked up had rice oil in it... water-soluble, but it took a lot longer to clean out than the soda syrup barrels.

Reaction score
I just bit the cheaper bullet and bought that inexpensive, folding kiddy pool while I was out running errands!

But I watched a Koi expert video and his suggestion is to simply let ones tap water trickle into the water fall. When the water level reaches maximum, use the flush cycle on the filter. He was talking about a large pond, of course so he was using several gallons an hour and based his "water changes" at 10% a DAY! It's a different method than I've heard of and assumes that the water fall is enough agitation/spray to get the chlorine out adequately. Of course, he is in the business to sell fish and has a full-time staff to help run things! LOL! Actually found this guy very interesting and down-to-earth. , if you haven't seen them (actually, they are at that link whether you've seen them or not...). Interesting ideas on feeding, also.

BTW, I checked the box (twice!) and there were no kids included. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Typically what I have heard is -- Chlorine takes 24 hours to evaporate out of the water; Chloramine does NOT evaporate out and requires chemical removal. So the first thing you need to do in any instance is find out for certain which chemical your city is treating their water with. Regardless, the treatment to instantly remove chlor* is cheap. I get a container of powder that treats something like 40,000 gallons for $8. So why not use it, just to be sure?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
@xAbD

If you have the room you can also look for one of these. The ones I have were used to hold wax used in concrete road construction, Scraping the wax out is a bit of a chore but what is left stays put and I have not heard any reports on it bothering the fish.

ibc.jpg

Around here the road people give them away when the finish a job. They must have had 30 or more of them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
xAbD said:
Are you talking about ? Does it come with three kinds and the lady?! We already have a daughter-in-law and our two Grand-daughters living with us! We don't have much room left!!! :LOL:

dream on dream on :cheerful: craigslist here we can get barrels like the metal cage ones for 55 dollars 250 gallons and they have bigger as guy told me he had 450 gallon ones for 100 dollars

Reaction score
I've seen those on various sites also. While I would have the barrels hidden behind the garage, those tanks are probably much bigger but also much uglier! :lol: As I say, there's a need to balance the inconvenience of a movable pool with the space lost by barrels/tanks. My main concern about those tanks (other than comments from my wife!) is what happens when the metal supports rust away? Are the tanks actually strong enough to support the pressure of water on those sides? They metal frames may be simply for protection during shipping/moving during construction.

Anyway, another possibility! Thanks! B)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
This is my current water seasoning container. I was out walking and had seen the free sign on the IBC's, so I asked the workers if they had anything else they were giving away. When I got home I got my wife out of bed and went to hook up the car trailer. My best estimate is that there was 2 or 300 lbs of wax left in it.

2013-05-12 14.47.48.jpg

2013-05-24 16.36.04.jpg

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
If you google used plastic barrels, there are quite a few sites to order from. I'm not sure you want to spend money on them. They range anywhere from 10 bucks to 70.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The parks department here sells there over stock ones .I guess they order to many and get rid of the rest .I use one as a garbage can and got it from them for 10 dollars .Great source also is a flea market ,I bought my rain barrels at one 5 dollars a piece and he had lots of them

Ask a Question