900 gpm Recirculating River

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I am creating a recirculating river system. The ideal flow calculation has been set at just under 900 gpm / 54,000 gph. I am looking for a pump or pumps that can move that water in the most cost-effective way.

Please advise me of your recommendation for the most overall efficient type of water pump to move 900+ gpm.

I will be pumping pool water approx. 1000' away. The rise is approx. 6' over that distance.

Thank you,
J Armstrong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oi vey. You might want to consult an actual engineer on this. Especially if you live in a high energy cost location.

I’m thinking 54,000 GPH traveling 1,000 feet is going to be multiple large pumps pushing through very large pipe. Could be multiple pumps with individual 3 or 4” lines all merging at the headwaters. Or one huge pipe—8” or 10”—serving multiple pumps. This is more complicated to balance flow and back pressure.

Or maybe you don’t need all 900 GPM at the river head and could dump the output of multiple pumps at different points. Kind of like a real river.

How did you arrive at your target 900 GPM?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The river is going to be 4' wide, 1' deep. Another person mentioned an ideal flow rate to keep anything from growing in the water was .5 ft/sec. and he mentioned it would be around 1000 gpm. I consulted a flow chart at it actually ended up being just under 900 gpm. I am installing solar panels to offset the power consumption. That is why I am trying to determine the most cost-effective way to pump the water, so I can size the solar array properly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plus, you mention a 6' rise which also complicates the build. I'm not sure what your friend means by nothing growing in the water. Plants, algae??? Sounds like this is on the scale of a lazy river. Solar array? What state do you live in?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1670525070325.gif
@J Strong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Kind of a side note, but I’m also curious about the plan for solar.

Will the array be dedicated to the river? Shared with a building? On or off-grid? Batteries or no? What’s net metering like where you are?

I think even the most efficient pumps in your scenario—and I’m thinking high-head commercial pumps—can only move about 15 GPM/watt in ideal conditions.

Running 24/7, that would be about 2,600 kWh/month. In the cheapest energy areas, about $200/mo at market rates. But in the highest...more like $1,300. Yikes!

Ask a Question