water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
I do take Vit D also but just never thought of the sunshine as helping absorb the calcium.......now I know and I try to get out there into the great outdoors as much as possible but we are rather lacking in the rays here except for special occasions :(
The vit d will do the same, the sun is the natural way to get it jw, there has been recent studies that suggest it helps against certain cancers, multiple sclerosis, aging of chromosomes, bone health, inflammation of gums................so keep on taking it! I get lots from sun but still take a supplement.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just didn't know that it helped absorb calcium.
I take 2000 IU's of Vit D per day and I was taking 6000 but doc said I was overdoing it by my blood test so I cut back as you can take too much of a good thing and it can cause problems. That may be why I had a kidney stone :lol:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
clemsonguy1125 said:
Yep any diurnal retiles need UVB light to absorb vitamin D. Nocturnal ones can just be fed a vitamin supplement. Do you have a UVB light on your tank?

Yes, I have a new one, I replace once a year that's over his basking area, His cage has the end right next to the window so if the sun is out he can get that too, But I like getting him out to bask in full natural when we can. We give him his calcium supplements and vitamins and feed him all the gut loaded goodies he cares to eat, which has gotten to be very little the last few month's. He's really starting to slow down and sleep most of the time now, guess getting old??? I've read they can live to 15 and he's over 11.

Reaction score
Ah that is so wonderful to see!
I love lizards but everybody who I know who keeps them they stay indoors all the time and for the most part in tanks, so is great to see :lol: lovely pics

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrDave said:
I have 2 lizards running around our house that my wife would like out. Any ideas on how to trap them?

LOL, What kind are they, Size, type, Venomous?? Most here we would just grab and relocate, Not really sure what kinds of lizards you would have in Calif. more specifically your area. I wouldn't be grabbing a Gila monster and large skinks will be the hardest to catch.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They are just alligator lizards. I pick them up all the time. The problem is, they are hiding and don't come out when we are around.

Reaction score
Larkin that is a very handsome lizard..I had one 10 years ago and it was a very nice lizard..currently my son has a leopard gecko that we all just think is super cool.Thanks for sharing.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can try a dark box/ or tube, Place it where you know the lizard frequents. Sometimes they will go in there to hide. Off hand I really can't think of anything else to try.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some glass vases outside in a yard sale, (in arizona) next thing I knew they had lizards in them, even without the enticement of bugs. So might work clemsonguy

Ask a Question