Looking a new homes and have a few questions about modifications

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know that many on here have experience with home renovations, etc. We are sorta thinking of moving (empty nester syndrome), but have certain things we want and/or don’t want in a floor plan (not planning to build, but find a newer house), yet most homes we’re looking at aren’t fitting our requirements — well, unless we move up in $$$, which is not part of the plan.

One thing we don’t need is a “private dining room.” We also don’t need a “hearth room.” For various reasons, we just need practical (for us), usable floor space and lots of storage. Our thought is to convert certain rooms to meet our needs.

This is just an example, but basically would be our “plan” for most of the homes we’ve looked at so far.

There is a house we are going to look at tomorrow. The pictures of the house make me laugh when I look at the “open floor plan.” The way they have delineated the dining area from the living area.....looks like a huge 4-poster bed, LOL! Anyway, wondering if it would be possible/feasible to: (and we would hire this out — we’re not DIYers)
  1. Sheetrock in 2 sides
  2. As well as have electrical outlets added to those walls?
The plan is to turn this into a study/library — entrance is via a butler’s pantry, but this would give the room 2 good interior walls for shelving, desk space, etc.

The lower left pic is what it looks like now (minus the white outline). The other 2 pics are representations of what it could look like after the space is enclosed.

So, is something like this even doable?
1C40BF48-9E3D-4415-96E4-5028BAD4F9FB.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And here is another one: 2-story foyer and living areas. Is it possible to have a ceiling and floor constructed over this open space? Of course, it would require upport beams, relocating and adding air ducts, redoing electrical, etc. It might be a lovely concept, but to us.....this is nothing but wasted floor space!

765FDD28-C682-4DD0-AA04-F07D5A7E5360.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
These are both doable. We almost did the floor over the open foyer idea, then decided it was more space than we needed. We instead closed in the loft which gave us floor space where the railing used to be that I avoided because I was always afraid one of my kids (or now the grandkids) would climb over a piece of furniture and tumble over the railing. We love the new up to date look. Walls are easy!

We also are in the midst of remodeling our kitchen. We had a big "country" eat in kitchen that we stopped eating in years ago. Who needs a kitchen table right next to the dining room table? The kitchen table just became a collection spot for everything that needed someplace to go. So we shifted the whole kitchen toward the eat in area and added a 5 foot by 7 foot pantry - it's going to be amazing!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We did our kitchen got rid of the table in the kitchen, added cabinets, pantries, granite island, which is our eating space. We have no kitchen table or dining room table now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm with addy1, depends on how deep your pockets are...

If I may be critical, and not knowing the entire lay out of the home, I do wonder how enclosing the space in the first example would effect heat and air flow throughout.... :unsure:

Might have to keep on hunting to find something that suits your needs, even if it's a bit more money vs. immediately hiring contractors to make a mess of a new home, for who knows HOW long.

Personally, depending on how often you'll have family visiting, etc.... I'm all about downsizing! Our previous house was 3 br, 2 full baths, 2 living areas, and separate dining area. All that space, and family would hardly ever come stay; either everyone too busy, too broke, died off, or older family members just not able to travel the distance. Now we have a one bedroom cabin, and we've never been happier. And with no mortgage or building loan, we have more $ for savings and travels. LOVE IT! Another bonus with living smaller...it keeps kids or other spongy family members from moving in with you!:ROFLMAO:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 I accidentally cut and pasted my own note rather than yours. I edited it out, so this comment is regarding your comment “depth of pockets.”
IDK, ‘cause I have no concept of what we would be looking at....

@addy1 and @Lisak1 Neither of these houses is “the one.” Well, we haven’t looked at that first one yet, but judging by the other photos and comparing to what we’ve already looked at......we’re thinking it will be too small.

But these are good examples of what we are running across so far.
We instead closed in the loft which gave us floor space where the railing used to be that I avoided because I was always afraid one of my kids (or now the grandkids) would climb over a piece of furniture and tumble over the railing.
We have cats. My fear is that a cat climb atop the railings (or squeeze between them) and will fall. Give a cat a high space, and...... Not all cats are as graceful as the stereotype, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not to ignore your questions, but I say "What about the yard and place for a new pond?" Is the yard also a big consideration now? Good luck with your searching!
Barb

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I also think the loft with the railing overlooking the first floor is kind of dated look - it was cool when we built our house 30 years ago, but we needed a change.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not to ignore your questions, but I say "What about the yard and place for a new pond?" Is the yard also a big consideration now? Good luck with your searching!
Barb
Oh, don’t worry! We rule that out or in before we even look inside the house, LOL! Not only do I have to consider the pond.....but also box turtle habitat!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had my ranch house built to handicapped accessability .It has 36 inch wide doors that have swing free hinges and handles on doors not knobs .I didn't want extreme to handicapped but ready in some ways .Like no hallways New homes are not really that hands free when it comes to certain things .Mine was built in a factory with 2x6 walls and well insulated ,we are always cold in the winter .No stairs to the basement and ramp ready for the side porch to the driveway .Fences make good neighbors and I wanted none close.add did not want noises from outside to enter home so sound proofed .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@kaos Thank you for the link. It was interesting to see the differences! I am not a fan of unusable space, and while the 2-story ceilings are impressive......they serve no purpose! Just MHO!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not only that, they are a pain to keep clean (can you say cobwebs!?!), more costly to heat/cool and extra difficult when you have to paint. We had cathedral ceilings in our second floor that we just dropped to 10 feet. So much easier all the way around!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not only that, they are a pain to keep clean (can you say cobwebs!?!), more costly to heat/cool and extra difficult when you have to paint. We had cathedral ceilings in our second floor that we just dropped to 10 feet. So much easier all the way around!
I’m a very practical person!

Ask a Question