6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Rob, Great pictures! We have about half of the birds here. It is really nice looking them up close. Do you have any American Goldfinches in your area? We have some here and they are always really pretty. I'm sure they like the water. Just wondering... do you feed the birds to get them to come or do they just show up?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you have any American Goldfinches in your area? We have some here and they are always really pretty. I'm sure they like the water. Just wondering... do you feed the birds to get them to come or do they just show up?
Thanks Keith

Yes we have the American Goldfinch here. Some of the birds do show up because I feed them. I do also get a few birds that go to the stream that do not eat bird seed or suet. Examples of that are the Pine Warbler and yellow-rumped warbler above.

Here is a American goldfinch

American Goldfinch by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@RobAmy your pictures are beautiful!

I have lots of Goldfinch (I feed them) all year, but I have never seen one bathing, or even drinking like the other birds, they don't even go in the birdbath close to their feeder, why?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@RobAmy your pictures are beautiful!

I have lots of Goldfinch (I feed them) all year, but I have never seen one bathing, or even drinking like the other birds, they don't even go in the birdbath close to their feeder, why?
Thank you,

I am not sure, the ones here really use the water a bit. They do like it shallow. The ones here like having the rocks to jump up and down on in the stream. The other birds scare them off very easy also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Nice photos! I love photographing birds, especially something I've never seen before. As far as goldfinches and water, here on the west coast they seem to love it (see photo of the month).

We have some of the same birds, but no cardinals, cat birds or blue jays. Downy and hairy woodpeckers are regulars in our yard, as are red and white breasted nuthatches. As far as jays go, we have scrub jays and a few Stellar's jays and lots of magpies. We see and hear ravens, but rarely in the yard and, oddly, we have no crows.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Beautiful photos! We don't have hardly any of those but we do have the Hummer and the Goldfinch and some kinds of Woodpeckers w/red also. I love our little Kinglet birds here. They seem to be very friendly and hang out in the conifers. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice photos! I love photographing birds, especially something I've never seen before. As far as goldfinches and water, here on the west coast they seem to love it (see photo of the month). .
I was so jealous when I saw your picture, heck I can't even get one to drink in the birdbath:rolleyes:

Ask a Question