A handsome boy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They are beautiful! I'm fighting with a pair that loves my pond - we're concerned they introduced a parasite last year that cost us a good number of our fish. So keep moving Mr & Mrs Duck! One of our dogs is supposedly a bird flusher... apparently she didn't get the memo as she just stands and stares, admiring their beauty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So keep moving Mr & Mrs Duck!

Mr. and Mrs. Duck decided they like it here just fine. They left me an Easter basket under the bush:

IMG_1224.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! Well except you don't want them there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
oh I have a feeling they are more then welcome.

Well, now that they've gone to all this trouble...

Honestly it's the only interesting thing happening around my house right now! We'll enjoy seeing them hatch. They are on the outside of our fenced back yard, so while mom and dad can get to the pond, the little ones might get left behind with a sitter!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
An even dozen! Oh boy they are gonna be pinch the cheeks cuteness!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Aww, cute. But expect mess, lost plants, and parasites. Lots and lots of mess. Not sure if cute little ducklings are worth it, but that’s your call.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mr. and Mrs. Duck decided they like it here just fine. They left me an Easter basket under the bush:

View attachment 127346
Only on one occasion (during our ponding stint in IL) did we have ducks actually nest in the garden right near our pond. Danged raccoons got into the nest, ate every egg & I won't mention what we found that was left of Mrs. Mallard. :cry: I wish the very best for your sweet little clutch of potential baby ducklings, no matter what a mess the adults might bring to your pond. (from that point forward we did our very best to run off any ducks that happened to show an interest in our pond. the heartbreak was just too much for me...)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The nest is actually outside of the fence - the pond is on the inside. Mom and dad can get into the pond, but the babies are on the wrong side of the fence. We'll see if they try to squeeze under for a swim!

We had a duck lay eggs in another part of the garden a few years ago and a raccoon (we assume) got to those eggs. We'll see if this mama has chosen a better spot.

Like I said, we're not excited to see them as we are pretty sure they introduced parasites to the pond last year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well - nature took care of my "duck problem" - all twelve eggs, gone. This was the only remnants left behind:

IMG_1242.jpeg

Ask a Question