New Property, New to Ponds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my current property last year, there is a good size pond and a small one at higher level that looks like it would feed into it, I plan to research and scetch it out a bit for further advice, but from what I can see...

I have a Fishmate Pressurised UV Pond Filter: 15000 PUV and a Laguna Max-Flo 6000, neither of which i'm sure if are working, I have the manuals to read up but i'm assuming one is to clean the water and one is to pump the water? there is another outlet on the left which i've not checked but assume it's going into the Pond Filter.

Can anyone advise what this is a picture of? it has two pipes coming out of it into the smaller 'feeder' pond.

Today is my first day at looking at this stuff, so please dumb it down to a very dumb level :)
IMG_7761.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7763.JPG
    IMG_7763.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 208
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello and welcome! That picture is a filter. I am not all that knowledgeable on those type of filters, but it looks like the first two chambers (brushes and sponges) are the mechanical filter (physically pulls crud from the water). And the last with the bag of stuff looks like a biological filter (good bacteria grows on the stuff in the bag and lives off the gunk flowing through the water).

I am sure some others here can provide much better detail.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, welcome to the forum.

As I read it you have three pieces of kit.
1. The Laguna pump which sits in the pond and pumps water out.
2. The Fishmate Pressurised filter (what's in your photo isn't a Fishmate Pressurised filter) . See http://www.fishmate.co.uk/pressurised-uv-pond-filter-15000-puv-pm267
3. The filter you show in the pic. That looks like a 3 stage biological filter.

If their plumbed in series, water will flow into one filter, through it and into the other before returning to your top pond, and then into the bottom pond, or if they're in parallel, water from the pump goes to both, and they both return to the top pond.

I think we need a bit more info.
How big is the pond?
What's the water like - green, clear?
What's in the pond - plants, fish - how many and how big?
Chris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, i'll take a few snapshots over the weekend, but basically the bigger pond i'd say is about 5ft deep (at it's deepest) by 5ft (very roughly) and the smaller one is about 1/10th the size. The pond did have fish when we moved in but I knew I didnt have the desire to keep them so gave them away to a local person who kept 100's. I want these just to be features, so nice clear water and some colourful LED's shooting up from the bottom, none of the equipment stated has been on for about 8 months, and i've only seen it working for a few weeks (the wiring is all over the place and even knowing which of the 4 plugs is associated to any of these things is a nightmare.....as I'm unsure what is broke and what is not!)

So if I have two filters, is it a case that they do different things?

Thinking I may need to get someone to come and get things checked over to get me started as the troubleshooting I can see being a bit of a headache.

Ask a Question