A "nerthener" in the South building self-sustaining ponds.

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Greetings You All,
I relocated to the deep South ten years ago and specialize in "sculpting" land with my equipment. My particular interest is constructing self-sustaining ponds which need no outside energy sources to remain vibrant, healthy support system for life which, of course, means balancing the nutrients requirements of the pond within itself and to the needs of my clients. [By the way, I am talking way above my current knowledge and "expertise" . . . but I know that I am following my right path to make our world a little bit better before I leave.] As I learn more about the needs for any self-sustaining pond, the complex natural mystery becomes more enchanting. Like most learning curves, the more I know, the more I realize how little I know. Thankfully, life for me becomes more interesting as my time decreases.
Thank you, PASTURES.

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, Mr Tadpole. I remain impressed by your knowledgeable response to a questionnaire about connecting two bodies of water. John.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome. There has been a lot of interest here in self sustaining ponds and a good amount of debate too if it's even possible. Can you describe how one would work?

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Greetings All, once again.
First, I have yet to have the opportunity to construct a fully self-sustaining pond. I have, however, have constructed enough ponds to know the basic requirements for a successful investment with reasonably easy maintenance and safe run-off. My interest in self-sustaining ponds was stimulated by an article in Mother Earth News:

Learn how to build a natural backyard pond that stays clean and algae-free without the use of pumps, filters or chemicals.

By Robert Pavlis
October/November 2015

I suggest, first, that one read this article. I now live in southeast Louisiana where heavy clay soils dominate and where the predominant water table lies within an inch of the surface. Pond liners are rarely employed. Fish kills happen often. Clarity of pond water remains "brown." I now look for native bog plants for both beauty and for nutrient consumption. I believe that key to success is knowing the volume of water (and its population) to be balanced by the needed cleansing action of its surrounding bog. Like most of you, I am a novice but also am trying to educate myself.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Greetings All, once again.
First, I have yet to have the opportunity to construct a fully self-sustaining pond. I have, however, have constructed enough ponds to know the basic requirements for a successful investment with reasonably easy maintenance and safe run-off. My interest in self-sustaining ponds was stimulated by an article in Mother Earth News:

Learn how to build a natural backyard pond that stays clean and algae-free without the use of pumps, filters or chemicals.

By Robert Pavlis
October/November 2015

I suggest, first, that one read this article. I now live in southeast Louisiana where heavy clay soils dominate and where the predominant water table lies within an inch of the surface. Pond liners are rarely employed. Fish kills happen often. Clarity of pond water remains "brown." I now look for native bog plants for both beauty and for nutrient consumption. I believe that key to success is knowing the volume of water (and its population) to be balanced by the needed cleansing action of its surrounding bog. Like most of you, I am a novice but also am trying to educate myself.

If you are looking for 'cleansing action' from a bog surrounding an earthen pond, you will not get any. A Bog by definition is a type of wetland identified by a quite low pH, usually composed of Sphagnum moss, whose water source is typically ground water or rain, is very low in nutrients and has no water movement.
Native Bog plants have low nutritional requirements.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you are looking for 'cleansing action' from a bog surrounding an earthen pond, you will not get any. A Bog by definition is a type of wetland identified by a quite low pH, usually composed of Sphagnum moss, whose water source is typically ground water or rain, is very low in nutrients and has no water movement.
Native Bog plants have low nutritional requirements.
there are some plant that's native and boggy at the same time though. I think swamp milkweed is one? Doesn't blue flag iris or Louisiana Iris require lots of water? Marsh blazing star is another plant i can think of. Oh and swamp hibiscus. But I might confuse bog with something else... are those require little nutrient?

when we were in Newfoundland, Canada, there are tons of bog (the whole island?) and there are lots of pitcher plants and blue irises. But most of the ground are peat too so the water can be acidic. I know those pitcher plants like acidic water and doesn't require a lot of nutrient but I tried a few in my bog and it's growing fine.

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
"Yes;" you are right about a bog; I misused that word. Here in Louisiana, we have swamps which continuously cleanse water. We also have about twenty water plants that are both decorative and contribute to the health of water. Most of our soils naturally have low ph: 4.0-5.5. I understand that the key, to maintaining a self-sustaining body of water, is balance between the plants and animals producing nutrients and the microorganisms consuming those nutrients. According to Robert Pavlis, a 1-foot shallow area by whatever chosen width (dependent upon volume of pond water) surrounds the deeper water which becomes home to water plants and microorganisms which consume nutrients from the pond water. Rocks and gravel placed in that shallow area provide space for those microorganisms to thrive - "slime" is good.

Presently I have a pond to "improve" and a second one to construct hopefully during this coming winter. Again, these opportunities are dependent upon my client's needs and finances. I also hope to work with a Louisiana grower of natural flora to develop an expanded sources of water plants. Thank you for your response, and greetings to TurtleMommy.

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
there are some plant that's native and boggy at the same time though. I think swamp milkweed is one? Doesn't blue flag iris or Louisiana Iris require lots of water? Marsh blazing star is another plant i can think of. Oh and swamp hibiscus. But I might confuse bog with something else... are those require little nutrient?

when we were in Newfoundland, Canada, there are tons of bog (the whole island?) and there are lots of pitcher plants and blue irises. But most of the ground are peat too so the water can be acidic. I know those pitcher plants like acidic water and doesn't require a lot of nutrient but I tried a few in my bog and it's growing fine.

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Greetings Nepen.
I believe that you are right in all plant examples. Louisiana iris is almost a "weed;" it flourishes everywhere . . . especially where the soils are continuously wet. I am not familiar with swamp milkweed. According to my written source (Robert Pavlis) the "key" nutrient consumption are the microorganisms already and naturally found in both water and soil. [Basically, I am treading carefully on the very sharp edge of my knowledge.]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
. According to Robert Pavlis, a 1-foot shallow area by whatever chosen width (dependent upon volume of pond water) surrounds the deeper water which becomes home to water plants and microorganisms which consume nutrients from the pond water. Rocks and gravel placed in that shallow area provide space for those microorganisms to thrive - "slime" is good.
Hi :)
I have a 'bog' as my filtration for the pond, about the same description as what you quoted. mine is only about 1-2 feet deep with gravel filled. lots of irises and other water (marsh/swamp) type of plants. I also have 30 feet long stream with gravel. So I think I have ample place for those microorganisms to thrive. So.. The plants in the bog is helping with getting the consumption of Nitrate. At the beginning of summer I had a lot of string algae but throughout the summer the algae reduced with the growth of other plants. (I'm so not scientific so I say what I saw and experience only) so my thought is the plants in the bog helped with the algae and I dont really have to do any water change (unless i want to get rid of the algae for my son's b-day party lol)

Ask a Question