Lotus in the southeast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey Lotus-growers!

Do your lotus flourish throughout the summer months? Do they have a "season" where they bloom? Or should it be continuous? I have leaves on my big lotus, but no blooms and no new leaves. I have fertilized all and they have a nice mix of bright sun and light shade throughout the day. They bloomed beautifully in the spring. The medium sized ones in the pond are doing nothing whatsoever. A lot of the leaves got sort of funky, so I cut them (above the water line.) I have some small ones that still have leaves, but no new ones.

Do they just "do their thing" in spring and early summer? Or are they unhappy?

Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine have been blooming like crazy, still blooming a bit off and on but slowing down. Leaves starting to look like it knows winter is coming. Ageing , yellow, etc.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
One of mine puts up multiple blooms ( between 10-15 constantly) all summer long. I have 2 other ones that put up leaves, but no blooms. I have noticed some years, my lotus doesn't do as well as other years not quite sure why, even the one that is blooming like crazy this year.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@cas Yes, the one that blooms a lot is growing bare root in the 18" deep portion of the pond. The other 2 are in the pond but are in built in planting beds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are in the "pond" their own pond, but fed with unfiltered water from the big pond that has fish. Actually I have seen a few small fish in the lotus pond, eggs or fry took a wild ride to get there. Through a pump, down a garden hose to the first small pond, down a small waterfall to the second pond which is the lotus pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@addy1 In retrospect, I would have done something similar, instead of letting it grow bare root in the main pond. As I mentioned in another thread, I am going to have to thin it soon. Another year or so and it will completely take over the shallow end.

Like you I prefer my ponds to be low maintenance and for 8 years it has been, haven't pruned back much of anything, other than the water celery.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hey Lotus-growers!

Do your lotus flourish throughout the summer months? Do they have a "season" where they bloom? Or should it be continuous? I have leaves on my big lotus, but no blooms and no new leaves. I have fertilized all and they have a nice mix of bright sun and light shade throughout the day. They bloomed beautifully in the spring. The medium sized ones in the pond are doing nothing whatsoever. A lot of the leaves got sort of funky, so I cut them (above the water line.) I have some small ones that still have leaves, but no new ones.

Do they just "do their thing" in spring and early summer? Or are they unhappy?

Thanks!

What size container is it planted in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Meyer Jordan -- the pond is new as of March, so everything is a first-year planting, if that makes a difference. The big lotus -- wabasabi -- is in a separate pond/pool that is about 45" diameter and about a foot and a half deep. The other two are planted in containers in the pond. The larger one is 30" diameter and the smaller one is 24" diameter. Are you thinking they may have outgrown their containers already?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan -- the pond is new as of March, so everything is a first-year planting, if that makes a difference. The big lotus -- wabasabi -- is in a separate pond/pool that is about 45" diameter and about a foot and a half deep. The other two are planted in containers in the pond. The larger one is 30" diameter and the smaller one is 24" diameter. Are you thinking they may have outgrown their containers already?

It is possible as Lotus are heavy feeders that require monthly supplemental fertilizer applications and are also quick growers

Ask a Question