A "nerthener" in the South building self-sustaining ponds.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pastures, Oct 4, 2016.

1. pastures

pastures Dauphene Duck

pastures, Oct 5, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. pastures

pastures Dauphene Duck

You are 100% correct about "whales." What condition that makes digging even more difficult than just high water table, is what we describe as "Black Jack" - very sticky, gelatinous clay mud that is almost impossible to dump from my bucket. Once its moisture has evaporated, it then becomes "concrete" very difficult to spread and work atferwards

pastures, Oct 5, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. pastures

Nepen

that's what we have here in Durham as well. the excavator (which i operated) was not happy. My husband was quite happy for me to be the one to do it because it was my pond and when i 'gave up digging' I couldnt blame him lol.
    we live up on a little hill, so I think that help with water table (which I dont even know for our area).
    We have lot of rocks and quartz and the clay clumps as hard as rocks so i have to spray water around the side of the hole and sunk those in the clay so they wont puncture my liner (we didnt have a liner for the liner :eek: ).

Nepen, Oct 5, 2016
  4. pastures

pastures Dauphene Duck

Here in Louisiana with its very high water table, our window to dig ponds is limited to our "dry" season when that table drops to more than 5'. Otherwise, digging a pond becomes a very effective exercise in frustration . . . also, expensive. We are now in our dry season: September to December.

pastures, Oct 5, 2016
  5. pastures

pastures Dauphene Duck

pastures, Oct 5, 2016
  6. pastures

pastures Dauphene Duck

I forgot to share my "trick" to digging Black Jack. That rude experience increased my immediate desperation to find the most efficient method of "attack." First, I learned not to curl my bucket to fill it, but let most of that half load sit on the outside edges and teeth. Thus, the weight of the water-soak clay helped the clump fall off and out of my bucket. Secondly, when spreading it (or working it) I would let it dry enough and begin pushing/spreading it during high-sun around noontime. That clay was surprisingly full of nutrients supporting quick growth of grass. [I also used a power rake to bust up the dumped clumps and spread them evenly.] I hope that this info helps you.

pastures, Oct 5, 2016
    Nepen likes this.
  7. pastures

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Been there, done (and doing) that! We have a high water table (also LA). When I did a rehab a couple years ago, I built the pond slightly above ground -- a foot or so -- to be sure the pond was always FULL with the water level higher than ground level. So far, so good! When I walk in the pond, I can tell it's wet underneath the liner (mushy feeling), but no floaties, LOL!

Mmathis, Oct 6, 2016
  8. pastures

pastures Dauphene Duck

If I understand your pond, you used a pond liner to raise its water level one foot above the natural water table within the ground? If I extrapolate correctly, you have an outside source of water (for that extra foot besides the entire pond's volume), and the weight of that extra foot helps to hold your liner close to the bottom? Therefore, your turtle habit has to be higher than your pond. The one detail that I wonder is the composition of your soil. Here in southern Louisiana, our "soil" consists mostly of clay which affords us to dig a pond almost anywhere because the clay, combined with our high water table, will hold the pond water in place. We, however, can encounter meandering deep layers of sand/gravel which quickly can defeat any pond. [Our local office of the National Resource Conservation Service conducts free borings at one's proposed pond site to ensure that the clay content of that site will hold water at whatever depth.] Thus, are you lucky enough to have either real organic soil, for crops, and/or a combination?

pastures, Oct 6, 2016
  9. pastures

pastures Dauphene Duck

Thank you, Miss Becky, for your cordial welcome. PASTURES

pastures, Oct 7, 2016
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question