A new sighting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yep a new sighting and I blame @addy1
It was way to fast for a Black Rat snake so I'm leaning towards a Black Racer. This sucker was fast.
@addy1 can you please keep nemesis in your own yard.....please
Inked20230516_115648_LI.jpg

the blue line on top is the head and the bottom is the tail. this was around 2' long. did I say fast... Wicked fast.
as long as it stays away from the water it can live. actually I am surprised I haven't seen any Copper heads or Rattlers with all the boulders that are near by.
20230516_115549.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I refuse to live anywhere w/big or poisonous snakes! I'll just stick w/our smaller Garter snakes. One was hunting down a small frog in my pond and then it jumped in the water after it but don't think he caught it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never worried about the black snakes. I see them now and then never non stop near or in the pond.

Saw a few that looked around 5 feet if not bigger.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have never worried about the black snakes. I see them now and then never non stop near or in the pond.

Saw a few that looked around 5 feet if not bigger.
If a 5ft snake moves in here,I'm movin out!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If a 5ft snake moves in here,I'm movin out!
For you viewing pleasre! JW

I watched one climb our door, found it behind the freezer (outside)
20190531_095003.jpg

Another one hung out in a tire
20180730_152524.jpg

This one I almost mowed over, then it ran for the rocks
DSC07239.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't mind seeing them at someone else's, just don't want them up close and personal sitting in my favorite chair or in the toidy at my place.

View attachment 157447
Exactly..... they freak me out.
As a kid I remember talking w/ my step Dad in our dark musty basement and I stepped on a bent clothes hanger (back then they were metal) almost jumped through the floor. He laughed so hard as a kid was having a heart attack.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol I used to catch to scare other kids. They don't bother me at all. Now spiders, spider webs...different story.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I guess if they would not bite me they wouldn't bother me and if they ate my fish that too I would not like. It's not their looks or their size I guess, it's the teeth!
Spiders are my friends
spider32.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was what many would call fresh back in the day. Well I was driving to a gf's house when I saw a black water snake dead in the road close to 4 foot long it was a thick sob. Wellllllll I grabbed the snake and having a ,1977 Lincoln grand marquis . I opened the glove box and curled the snake inside. Placed the head on the top half of the box so when the glove box was opened fully the snakes head would drop from leaning on the top making it look alive. Well the gf almost jumped out of the moving car I chuckle at it now but it was to close to watching her jump out the window.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
For you viewing pleasre! JW

I watched one climb our door, found it behind the freezer (outside)

Another one hung out in a tire

This one I almost mowed over, then it ran for the rocks
Well, at least they're kind of pretty. These aren't the same kind that were going after your fish, are they?

So far, I haven't seen any snakes in our yard, though I've caught sight of a couple of sheltopusiks (glass snakes) which are actually humongous legless lizards. The neighbor called me over last week with screams of "Yael, come quick! There's a snake in my yard!" So I ran over there and found that what he thought was a snake was two sheltopusiks caught in flagrante delicto.

Sometime in the next month, Mohammed will probably be plowing up the vacant lot next door to get ready for fire season. That will result in all the vipers that live there taking shelter in our garden for a bit. Hopefully, I can chase them back out before they discover the fish. They're extremely venomous, so aren't welcome in the vicinity.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, at least they're kind of pretty. These aren't the same kind that were going after your fish, are they
No the northern watersnakes moved in during the last few years. They get colorful when wet

20220518_103708.jpg

20220520_101623.jpg

We have seen one copperhead, venomous, one time. On the driveway.
20200827_174259.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. Hopefully, I can chase them back out before they discover the fish. They're extremely venomous, so aren't welcome in the vicinity.
Get snake away, if you can, line the edge of your yard with it. They may head another direction. I loaded it up around the ponds, no snakes trapped, no sightings. We are on the boat so they could be around. My neighbor checks the traps for me.

When we get back will be able to watch for them easier.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Get snake away, if you can, line the edge of your yard with it. They may head another direction. I loaded it up around the ponds, no snakes trapped, no sightings. We are on the boat so they could be around. My neighbor checks the traps for me.

When we get back will be able to watch for them easier.
Just googled "Snake Away". Looks like Amazon has it, but I doubt I could get it past the customs ogres. I tried buying water lily fertilizer tabs and they wouldn't let those in either. I'll have to wait until someone is coming from the U.S. and can bring it with them.

I hope your water snakes take heed and do indeed stay away!

Ask a Question