A new sighting

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No the northern watersnakes moved in during the last few years. They get colorful when wet

View attachment 157468

View attachment 157469

We have seen one copperhead, venomous, one time. On the driveway.
View attachment 157470
Arrrggg
For you viewing pleasre! JW

I watched one climb our door, found it behind the freezer (outside)View attachment 157442

Another one hung out in a tireView attachment 157441

This one I almost mowed over, then it ran for the rocksView attachment 157440

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Snakes are just part of the pond’s life cycle, it goes- water, fish, frogs then snakes. I’ve never had a turtle

The frogs we get are leopard and bull frogs, the snakes are sneaky

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have snakes all around my pond all the time, I draw the line at water snakes though as they are fish eaters……garter snakes, black snakes, are all welcome. .Like addy, I grew up catching snakes, if I saw one I had to try to catch it. Northern water snakes are nasty snakes if you get between them and water, they don’t try to get away, for them it’s fighting time, which made it challenging to handle one without it biting.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Have snakes all around my pond all the time, I draw the line at water snakes though as they are fish eaters……garter snakes, black snakes, are all welcome. .Like addy, I grew up catching snakes, if I saw one I had to try to catch it. Northern water snakes are nasty snakes if you get between them and water, they don’t try to get away, for them it’s fighting time, which made it challenging to handle one without it biting.
I am not fighting any snakes, they can have the place, I'm gone
snake woman.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. Northern water snakes are nasty snakes if you get between them and water, they don’t try to get away, for them it’s fighting time, which made it challenging to handle one without it biting.
And if you do walk up on one, boom in the water gone. They can stay under water over a hour. With the way my pond is built, very hard to sneak up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
place a heat pad just off to the side of the pond in an open area that you can see from that lovely advantage point being your deck. the snakes will go to the heat and pose for you. Game over. no threat of damaging the pond

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
And if you do walk up on one, boom in the water gone. They can stay under water over a hour. With the way my pond is built, very hard to sneak up.
Yeah, if they can get in the water or are already in the water, they are impossible to get near. They are in the rivers all around the Chesapeake bay, just don’t get between them and their escape route (the water).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, if they can get in the water or are already in the water, they are impossible to get near. They are in the rivers all around the Chesapeake bay, just don’t get between them and their escape route (the water).
I have seen 4 here at the marina, two medium, one small, one 4 ft or so. Al inl the water.

Ask a Question